Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

NBR: Dinners

This may sound silly, but I suck at deciding on dinners and need ideas. I'm not a good cook and before DD, DH and I would go out to eat almost every night. Now, we are getting sick of delivery! So, how do you come up with your "menu" for the week?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NBR: Dinners

• Options
    I have the same problem, and every time I ask DH what he wants his standard response is, "I don't know" or "We don't have anything here to make."  I do get recipes emailed to me from various sites and if something looks good I will print it out and try it the next time I'm in the mood.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have "staples" that we eat pretty regularly, so I just rotate through them...spagetti, tacos, enchilada's, chicken fettecinni alfredo...to name a few.  I will also get out cookbooks and look for different ideas when I can't come up with anything. 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejkfranklin:
    I have the same problem, and every time I ask DH what he wants his standard response is, "I don't know" or "We don't have anything here to make."  I do get recipes emailed to me from various sites and if something looks good I will print it out and try it the next time I'm in the mood.

Haha! I had to laugh at this because DH usually decides what to make for dinner, and whenever he asks me what I want, I'll say "I don't know" or "we don't have anything good here."

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    imageBrittKav:

imagejkfranklin:

Haha! I had to laugh at this because DH usually decides what to make for dinner, and whenever he asks me what I want, I'll say "I don't know" or "we don't have anything good here."

It drives me nuts when DH says that we don't have anything.  Yes we don't have anything at home to make because we never pick out what we want for dinner.  Food doesn't just magically appear. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My husband and I are notorious for the constant "What do you want to eat?" "I don't know. What do YOU want to eat." "Whatever you want. What do YOU want?" "I don't care. I'll eat whatever YOU want". We suck lol.
  • Options

imageMarthaP18:
    My husband and I are notorious for the constant "What do you want to eat?" "I don't know. What do YOU want to eat." "Whatever you want. What do YOU want?" "I don't care. I'll eat whatever YOU want". We suck lol.

I'm glad to hear this conversation goes on in other homes too!  Not just for food too...we are AWFUL at making decisions!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageglasgow_girl:

imageMarthaP18:

I'm glad to hear this conversation goes on in other homes too!  Not just for food too...we are AWFUL at making decisions!

LOL no worries. I thought we were the only ones, too!

• Options

LOL.  We were totally like that too.  I started menu-planning when DD#1 was about 6 months old.  We just couldn't keep eating junk as she was starting to eat with us and going out was expensive and a pain when we were bringing her with us. Most weeks, I sit down on Sunday or Monday night and plan the week (with or without the girls' and DH's input).  Then I do my shopping Monday night or Tuesday.  If I have enough time, I check the ads and coupons before planning the meals so I can plan it around whatever's on sale.  I also buy almost all my meat and such at Costco.  I freeze it in dinner-sized portions so I can pull whatever I need out that morning.  I've learned that if I have a plan for the week then I don't (usually) get to 4pm and start panicking about dinner realizing I haven't taken any meat out and have no idea what to cook.  Knowing what I'm cooking means I don't have to make those decisions, I just might have to remember to thaw something earlier that day.

I started using Menus4Moms.  It costs now, but you can go through the archives of the Basic Menu for free.  They have 5 days a week of meals and it includes things to do with the left overs - for example, you might make pot roast one night and do french dip sandwiches two days later or you might roast a chicken one night and use the leftovers for chicken pot pie.  Now we have our favorites that end up on our list at least every two or three weeks. I also look at a lot of food blogs and various recipe sites to try new things every week.  What's for Dinner has a menu plan Monday. 

The other biggest thing I do is I cook double (or more) and freeze it.  I work a lot of nights and weekends so whenever I have time to cook, I try to cook enough for at least two meals if it's something I can freeze.  I make big pots of soups with two and three dinners worth, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, etc.  Even if it's not a night I'm working, with three kids there are nights when I just can't even think about cooking.  It's nice to be able to grab my own home-made freezer meal.  At least I know it's relatively healthy and I know what went into it. 

Good luck!!!  It's hard to get started, but well worth it when you do.  I still don't stick exactly to the meal-plan and there are definitely weeks when I don't plan anything and we eat all sorts of crap.  But it helps...

ETA - This also cuts down on the "What do you want to have?" annoying conversation with DH.  When/if he complains about what's for dinner, I just remind him that I asked him what he wanted on the menu and usually told him what my plans were.  If he doesn't speak up then, he can't whine at dinner time.  Same thing goes for the girls though they don't get to change the plan/menu, just request their favorites if I ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"