Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

xp: ? for those with uncircumsized DS

I also posted this on 3-6. This is not meant for debate. I have a friend who is pg with her first son. She and her husband decided they will not circumsize their son.

When she brought it up about cleaning at her DD's pedi's office, the pedi said that during the apt she would retract the foreskin to "make sure it works". Friend told pedi that she thought that was the old way of thinking and that she had heard it was damaging and painful to retract the foreskin in a baby.

Pedi further explained that the foreskin should never be retracted enough that the glans be exposed because that would be painful. She said that gently retracting the foreskin a little (not enough to expose the glans) is something that she needs to do during the exam to make sure everything is OK. She said "you should never see the glans" and acted like retracting the foreskin in that sort of way is a crazy idea.

My friend has never seen an intact penis so doesn't really know what pedi is talking about. Does pedi's explanation make sense or is this a red flag? TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: xp: ? for those with uncircumsized DS

• Options

DS is not circumsized as it isn't the 'norm' here in the UK.

I would like to think a pedi knows what they are talking about, however, I was told that under NO circumstances is the foreskin to be retracted...AT ALL! This can be damaging and it can lead for bacteria to get into that area.

That being said...I'm not a pedi.

But I still don't think it sounds right.

• Options
    DS is not circumsized.  I have never retracted the foreskin, nor would I.  At his 6 month appointment I asked the Pedi if there was anything special I should be doing for him when bathing him or doing diaper changes - as I didn't know if I was supposed to retract it to clean it etc... I hadn't been so far and wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.  The Pedi told me no, to not mess with it.  However, the Pedi did retract it, to show me what was what and to ensure that everything was OK.  He further explained what changes I can expect to see as he grows/develops. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My midwife and family doctor (don't have a pedi) both told us not to retract it.  They said it's ready to be retracted once he does it on his own and that we shouldn't mess with it.

Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, Childbirth/Lactation Educator

Corin Andrew Dec 24/09

Ronan Edward Jul 9/12

Baby #3 EDD Aug 6/14

• Options
    Tell your friend NOT to let that Pedi touch him!  Retracting the foreskin is an old way of thought and can actually damage the penis and it will hurt him! The foreskin will retract on its own ususally before age 3, but some boys it will not until later. I would seek a new pedi!
  • Options
    My son is uncirc'd as well and our pedi told us we are NOT to retract the foreskin.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options

imageNikibug:
    Tell your friend NOT to let that Pedi touch him!  Retracting the foreskin is an old way of thought and can actually damage the penis and it will hurt him! The foreskin will retract on its own ususally before age 3, but some boys it will not until later. I would seek a new pedi!

This. And we in fact did switch when we were told it was "dirty" and "unclean" by a ped because we did not circ.

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
    The Chaos of Six!
  • Options
    There is no need to retract the foreskin as pp have stated. Any forced retraction of the foreskin could be painful and damaging.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"