Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

My ER visit :-(

So first off, I haven't been on here in a few months! All your LO's are getting soo big! My DD is getting big too, but I ave yet to change her siggy :-)

So, anyways. I think I deserve horrible Mother of the year award. This past Sunday my DD was in bed with us and I wanted to move her a little bit, and I pulled her by her arm. (which I know in a no, no but I ad done it a million times.) Well she stated screaming. After she stopped crying she wouldn't move her arm and if she did she would cry. So I called my dr. I could hardly even speak I was crying so hard. She said to go to the ER, but it was a simple fix, and not to feel bad (like that is possible when your DD is in pain and it is your fault)

So we took her in and everyone said that nursemaids elbow is extremely common, they drew me a pic. and then the dr. came in a popped it back into place. He did it so quickly, I didn't even know what he was doing. Within a couple of minutes she was playing again.

I can't tell you guys ow horrible I felt. My face was seriously swollen for ours after because of how much I was crying. I think I was crying more than her. SO now that this has happened once, I guess it can happen very easily again. So now I am extremely paranoid that i am going to hurt her again! Has anyone else had a LO that has had this happen to them?

Well it is good being back on here! I should visit more often :-)

Re: My ER visit :-(

• Options

Try not to be so hard on yourself; it's not like you meant to harm her.

That said, one of my friends was swinging her older child around by the arms, in circles, and she basically pulled his shoulder out of joint. Yikes. So, I'm sure you're not the only one who's experienced something similar. ((Hugs))
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This happened to us about a month ago!  He woke up on a Sunday morning and I was changing him and his arm got caught in his sleeve.  He didn't cry out in pain or anything, but did start to whimper.  Then I noticed he wasn't using his right arm.  He didn't necessarily cry, but wouldn't use it at all.  If I lifted it up it would fall limp (and he would whimper.)  Off to the ER we went - I was so freaked out.  Same thing - nursemaid's elbow.  He (and I) cried so hard when they put it back in.  I beat myself up so bad about it - the only way that I can think it happened was when I was changing him.  They said it could also happen if they roll onto it funny or get it caught in the crib and turn funny - but he doesn't roll from back to belly yet! 

We were really really careful doing anything afterwards, but so far nothing has happened again.  Our pediatrician said that yes, it is more likely, but it's still only a 20-30% chance that it will happen again.

image Laura & Jason Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Aww, hugs mama! PP is right, don't be so hard on yourself. Kids are so resilient. When my son was 3 weeks old he rolled off my lap while I was feeding him. He broke his collarbone! I was a wreck, it upset me more than it did him. 

These things happen, and you are definatly not alone!!  

• Options

We had the exact same ER visit a few weeks back. My mom was playing with her and lifted her up by her arms and all of a sudden she was screaming and wouldn't move her arm. We took her to the ER also and they popped it right back into place. They said it is EXTREMELY common. My mom felt so bad but these things happen...it could have been worse and now you just know to be more careful. After this happened, I always make sure i never pull her up by her arms which I would do in the past when we were playing.

Hang in there...don't let yourself feel too guilty!!! You are a great mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When my brother was little, his shoulder would pop out of joint VERY easily, like if you pulled his arm at all, it was out.  It happened so many times that my mom learned how to pop it back in herself so she wouldn't have to take him the 30 minutes into town every time it happened.  So yes, it happens quite often, but it doesn't harm them later in life.  My brother is now 22 and his shoulder hasn't caused him problems since he was a baby.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    We just went to the ER last night.  We still don't know what is wrong with Keira, we have a follow up with her pedi today.  I just want to say, don't beat yourself up.  Accidents happen!  I am racking my brain trying to figure out what happened to Keira, her eye is swollen shut.  I feel like a terrible mom because she was crying last night and I thought she was just being fussy but DH went to check on her and her eye was swollen shut.  She was in her room for less than 10 minutes. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I am just glad that she is fine now! It was definitely a lesson learned the hard way! VMM, don't be so hard on your self! I hope everything is okay with Keira!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"