Infertility

Menopur Mixing Issues

Hi ladies

This was night #2 on Menopur and both nights have seen major meltdowns because of mixing issues.

The water vial has a lot of air pressure in it. It's almost impossible for one person to control the vial and the syringe because the air pressure pushes the plunger out or pushes a lot of air bubbles in, making it hard to get an accurate measure.

Then when switching the needles it's equally difficult because of the air pressure. Then when trying to push the medication to the 1cc level a couple of squirts of it came out because of all the air bubbles. I was SO mad because it seemed like we wasted a bit of it and i didn't get my full dosage (just drops of it, but still it was a little less than 1cc).

Do any of you have tips for mixing it? Are we doing something wrong?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Menopur Mixing Issues

• I hold the plunger down the entire time the needle is in the vial.  It's easier said than done.....Try practicing with the extra water left in the vial.  I find that the more I practice the better I get.  Good luck!!!!
  • My needles come with a little air in them so I take that air and push it into the vial. That makes it easier to get the liquid out without lots of big bubbles. Does your package come with q-caps? Those make it much easier. I would definitely prefer using those over using multiple needles. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you injecting 1ml of air into the vial before extracting the saline? I over extract, prime it, then push the plunger to the 1ml mark because it's easier than extracting the exact amount the first time.

ETA : I have a bunch of extra saline vials if you want to practice.

+++
  • imageroselln2:
    My needles come with a little air in them so I take that air and push it into the vial. That makes it easier to get the liquid out without lots of big bubbles. Does your package come with q-caps? Those make it much easier. I would definitely prefer using those over using multiple needles. Good luck!

DH and I decided that we are done with the multiple needles and will be using the q-caps going forward. Looks so much easier.

Thanks so much!

ETA: Edwina, thanks so much for the offer! I think I will go with the q-caps tomorrow night and if there are still meltdowns maybe I will take you up on your offer :) So sweet, thanks!

• No problem, just let me know. I also have a bunch of q-caps if you want spares. I never used them.

+++
  • I used the q caps and they worked great....but I still think you have to inject an equal amount of air so that you do not have a vaccuum. 

Good luck!!

• imageCharBart:

I used the q caps and they worked great....but I still think you have to inject an equal amount of air so that you do not have a vaccuum. 

Good luck!!

~Lauren~
    **SAIF always welcome.**
    After 2+ years, 3 losses, 3 surgeries, 2 IVFs and 1 FET our little girl is here.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (babystinkbreath)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Read in 2011: 56/55
    Read in 2012: 31/30
    Read in 2013: 1/25
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• We use the Q-caps.  I don't think it has ever been a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"