Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Is anyone dealing with chronic constipation?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the problem really is.  I know carrots and bananas are culprits so he only gets them every now and then and with lots of water.

DS is constipated everyday now and it's painful for him, unless I'm giving him prune juice.  The only thing that has changed is oatmeal for breakfast and puffs.  But we stopped the puffs and I didn't think oatmeal was suppose to be binding. 

I can stop it but what should I switch to?  Should I just be giving him prune juice or something everyday to keep him regular?  My pedi wants me adding rice and extra things to his diet cause he's only 16lbs but I'm afraid it will stop him up more.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is anyone dealing with chronic constipation?

• Options
    Oatmeal can be binding, unless u give it with water or juice mixed with water! Try... right after u feed the oatmeal giving LO half water half white grape juice that always worked for DS #1 if he needed to poop! I never had to give him prune juice.
  • Options

DD has had many of these days.  Her pedi said it was okay to give up to 2 oz of prune juice daily.  I mix her rice cereal with prune juice instead of breast milk.  I find she is very regular from this.  And if she is having a "backed up" day.  I add just a 1/2 oz to a bottle and she practically poops instantly lol.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Okay thanks I'll try mixing his oatmeal with juice and see how that goes.  Poor guy!!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I put an ounce of prune juice in DS's morning bottle every single day. Because if I don't, he just won't go. I also put an extra ounce of water in the first bottle too. He's regular if I do that, once or twice a day. If I don't, he has gone up to 5 days...yikes!
  • Options
    Ditto pp suggestions, but we also found that barley cereal keeps DD more regular than rice or oatmeal.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DS had the same problem.  I wasn't able to find prune juice for babies/infants so I tried apply/prune juice.  This worked ok.  I just started putting about 1 oz of jarred prunes in with his cereal with other fruits each morning and this has has worked so muched better.  Good Luck!!  
  • Options
    DD has been struggling with chronic constipation since 8 mo old. The only thing that we have found that keeps her regular is a pack of Gerber prunes and apples once a day. We give it to her, mixed with oatmeal, for breakfast everyday. Anytime we've stopped, the constipation has returned with a vengence.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"