Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

over eating at this age?

So my child loves to eat.  She hasnt't turned away anything I've ever given her.  She will eat until I stop feeding her & the cry when I do.  She already eats 6 oz of solids 3 times a day & 25 oz of formula.

Will she eventually learn when she's full or is there anything I can do?  I don't want to start her off overeating.  Is that even possible

Then I read a post yesterday about a girls friends LO being tested for diabetes b/c he ate a bunch????  I'm worried.

(Please don't flame...I'm not trying to starve my baby or make her be skinney)

Re: over eating at this age?

• Options

I have always been told that it isn't possible until kids are around 4 years old.  That being said, I have a large child and the pediatrician is always giving me a "maximum" amount to feed him.  If over eating wasn't an issue, why was she so concerned? 

I've yet to feed Eli where I haven't cut him off.  I do think your food amounts are within the proper guidelines, however.  

• Options

I was thinking about this yesterday.  DD had a 5 oz bottle, then about 30 minutes later, I gave her some solids.  She ate 1/2 banana and 1/2 jar of green beans.  She has never eaten that much before and was making grunting noises and started to cry when she knew she was done.  1 hour later she drank 6 oz of formula. 

Growth spurt??  Or does she not know when to stop?

I have no advice, just here to let you know you are not alone for worrying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Girl..I hear ya.  Bobby eats 32 oz of formula per day and 16 oz. solids, plus juice and puffs/cheerios.  I have to cut him off every time or else he'd eat until he bursts.  He cries, but the second I get the food/bottle out of sight, he's fine.  At daycare he cries if the other kids are eating and he's not (he always finishes his meals like 15 minutes before the other babies).  The DCPs have to bring him to another room until the other kids are done lol!!  I know he isn't hungry...he weighs almost 30 lbs.  I'm not trying to starve my child, by no means..he eats plenty....but childhood obesity and diabetes scares me.   It's like I can't win...I either get the "oh my god, you're baby is so fat" comments or the "oh my god, feed him..he's hungry" comments.  Sometimes I have no clue what to do.
  • Options
    imageSamsMom91:

I have always been told that it isn't possible until kids are around 4 years old.  That being said, I have a large child and the pediatrician is always giving me a "maximum" amount to feed him.  If over eating wasn't an issue, why was she so concerned? 

I've yet to feed Eli where I haven't cut him off.  I do think your food amounts are within the proper guidelines, however.  

Samsmom!  you're back.  good.  so, what are these "maximum" guidelines?  lol, HELP! 

• Options

DS has always been like this and I get concerned too.  He would nurse for hours if I let him (sucking away, not just comfort sucking) so we went to EP so I could see that he was getting enough.  Sure enough he would down 7oz bottles and cry when you took the empty away.  I seriously could give the boy a 15 oz bottle and he'd just keep going.  He eats a 6oz and then a jar of stage 2 foods and then puffs and cries when its gone.  I definitely dont want to prevent him from eating what he needs but I dont want to hurt him either!

• Options

Tegan is the same way except that she doesn't normally cry when I take the food away. However, if I kept feeding her, she'd keep eating. She will eat a 4 oz jar of baby food, an hour later drink a 6 oz bottle and right after that be whining for me to give her some food from my plate. I just try to keep her eating within a normal range and gaining weight at a normal rate. If she suddenly started losing weight or gaining rapidly over a period of time (not a growth spurt type gain) then I'd definitely reevaluate what she was eating.

I don't think you are overfeeding Emmie. I think she's perfect just the way she is and that you are giving her exactly what she needs. Plus, the foods you are feeding her are healthy and nutritious foods. It's not exactly like you're pureeing happy meals, right?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAbinormal:

Tegan is the same way except that she doesn't normally cry when I take the food away. However, if I kept feeding her, she'd keep eating. She will eat a 4 oz jar of baby food, an hour later drink a 6 oz bottle and right after that be whining for me to give her some food from my plate. I just try to keep her eating within a normal range and gaining weight at a normal rate. If she suddenly started losing weight or gaining rapidly over a period of time (not a growth spurt type gain) then I'd definitely reevaluate what she was eating.

I don't think you are overfeeding Emmie. I think she's perfect just the way she is and that you are giving her exactly what she needs. Plus, the foods you are feeding her are healthy and nutritious foods. It's not exactly like you're pureeing happy meals, right?

yeah no pureed mcdonalds!  lol!  I googled overfeeding a baby and it said as long as you are feeding them vegies & healthy foods they can eat as much as they want.  The formula intake should be limited by their weight. A BF baby can drink as much as they want too. No maximum for them. 

that being said...I don't think I'm over feeding her...I get worried she doesn't know when she's full.  I don't know if that comes with age or it is something we need to try to make her aware of.  I do know she eats super fast.  I'm going to move her back to slow flow bottle & try feeding her slower.  Maybe if she eats slower she might realize when she's full!

• Options
    imagesila129:
    imageSamsMom91:

Samsmom!  you're back.  good.  so, what are these "maximum" guidelines?  lol, HELP! 

Hey Sila!  I've been keeping up with you guys on FB.  At this age, I was told between 16-24oz of formula and 12-16 oz purees.  In his formula, Eli also eats 6oz of oatmeal cereal in his bottles (for reflux of the formula itself) per day.  An average day for us is 2 6oz feedings of solids and 3 bottles of 6oz formula and 2oz oatmeal.  That's a total of 36 oz of food per day.  Our pedi says no more than that.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"