Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Need help weaning, but DS doesn't like any formula...

We have tried every milk based formula (he's not lactose intolerant or allergic - that we know of) and he will not drink any.  I had the daycare try one bottle today and he refused and cried, so they warmed up some BM.  I have tried mixing 3/4 BM and 1/4 formula and he will not drink that.  I only pump enough for 2 bottles for daycare and I only have 2 days worth in the freezer, so I will likely run out.  So, I cannot risk using up more BM to mix when I'll probably have to toss it.  I want to continue pumping during the day and nurse at night and weekends, but I cannot pump anymore than I do.  Eventually I want to get to a point where I can quit pumping and just nurse in the evenings.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Re: Need help weaning, but DS doesn't like any formula...

• Options

This probably isn't the answer your looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there since your little one seems to love the boob juice so much. :-)

Have you thought about trying to increase your breastmilk supply so that you're pumping enough for a more bottles?

You could try adding a night pumping session and taking some supplements to increase your supply.

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Try the Similac Organic. It is the sweetest tasting, and closest to BM IMO.  I had that problem with DD1, and that is the only formula she would take.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same problem with DD.  My supply tanked at 5 months so I was trying to start her on formula but no such luck.  I decided to try putting a little bit of formula in her bottle until she got used to the taste.  I originally tried 1/4 formula, 3/4 BM like you did but that was too much formula.  I ended up starting with 5 oz BM, 1 oz formula and she was okay with that.  About a month later, I am now up to 3 oz BM and 1 oz formula. 
  • Options

I have heard of people flavoring the formula with pedialyte, pineapple juice, or apple juice.  

I would certainly check with your doctor before doing this long term though.  

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • Options
    imageJennrs:

This probably isn't the answer your looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there since your little one seems to love the boob juice so much. :-)

Have you thought about trying to increase your breastmilk supply so that you're pumping enough for a more bottles?

You could try adding a night pumping session and taking some supplements to increase your supply.

I really do not have time to pump more than twice a day at work and the evenings are so short to me that I don't really want to pump after LO goes to bed (he likes to cluster feed in the evenings, sometimes anyways).  I still want to provide him BM, but I don't want to stress over it anymore.  Thanks for your advice, though...  :)

• Options

imagejillms413:
    I had the same problem with DD.  My supply tanked at 5 months so I was trying to start her on formula but no such luck.  I decided to try putting a little bit of formula in her bottle until she got used to the taste.  I originally tried 1/4 formula, 3/4 BM like you did but that was too much formula.  I ended up starting with 5 oz BM, 1 oz formula and she was okay with that.  About a month later, I am now up to 3 oz BM and 1 oz formula. 

What formula did she take to?

• Options
    try Baby's only.  It's supposed to taste really good.  We supplement with it when my LO needs to. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"