Working Moms

Not all it's cracked up to be

Gratuitous sucking up is not all it's cracked up to be.  I've been fairly isolated to date, partly because I only moved to the main building a few months ago and in large part because I am the only one here doing my work and the clients I support are far away.  So it's pretty much been my boss and me.  Well due to a recent round of layoffs and org chart shake-ups, my boss is the new heir apparent to the division exec's title.  I've been kind of my boss's right hand person who he dumps with stuff to handle.  So now, since the org change, I've suddenly had a bunch of people who, while friendly to me, didn't exactly go out of their way to engage in a conversation coming to my office to do exactly that.  Which I don't want.  I want to come in, do my job and leave.  Pretty simple and avoids getting sucked into the paranoid and power-brokering going on.  And trust me, I'm the last person you would want to suck up to as I deride the sucking up openly to my boss which amuses him but defeats the purpose of the person sucking up.

Ugh, I hate the political jockeying going on.  I think I need to shut my door more often.

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Not all it's cracked up to be

• Good things come to those who wait.
  • Ha!  Love that you tell your boss!  I also can't stand work politics, I'm not cut out for it.  I used to share concerns with my boss during layoffs, re-orgs, etc. and he used to tell me to keep my head focused on doing my job...and that's it.  Sounds like you are being polite by entertaining their new found interest, but I'd agree with your instincts to just do your job. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"