Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Wondering if BF'ing is considered healthly if

Mom has a crappy diet and eats nothing but crap?  Does what you eat effect your BM?

Re: Wondering if BF'ing is considered healthly if

• Options
    Not sure but if mom has a crappy diet and eats nothing but crap her health in the long run is probably gonna be crappy so that's just crap!
  • Options

BM comes out the same...  You can have lack of nutrients in BM if the mom's not eating enough calories, fat, etc... but, for the most part, it comes out the same.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's healthy for the baby, but not for the mom.  Your body takes all of the good stuff for the BM first and you get what is left.  At least that is how I understand it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have read that yes, it is still healthy. Your body will suck out it's own nutrients (like calcium from your bones) to provide healthy breastmilk. 

I could be wrong, but that's what I read in the literature my LC sent me. I might be able to find the links. 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    There are a few different schools of thought on this one. Some say yes, definitely, when you BF you should eat as well as you did when you were PG. Others say not so much, that even gassy foods isn't going to effect LO so much to the point where you should cut out anything from ur diet beyond drinking. I BF and so I try to eat plenty of fruit and veggie if for nothing else then to make sure I get enough nutrients after my BM takes what it needs for LO. But I certainly dont obsess over every thing I eat, I love cookies and junk too much!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBrittKav:

I have read that yes, it is still healthy. Your body will suck out it's own nutrients (like calcium from your bones) to provide healthy breastmilk. 

I could be wrong, but that's what I read in the literature my LC sent me. I might be able to find the links. 

My LC said this too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

imagesharmurph18:
    Not sure but if mom has a crappy diet and eats nothing but crap her health in the long run is probably gonna be crappy so that's just crap!

Yes

• Options

imageAMYfromKY:
    It's healthy for the baby, but not for the mom.  Your body takes all of the good stuff for the BM first and you get what is left.  At least that is how I understand it.

BAM!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imagecatycombs:

imageAMYfromKY:

BAM!

And this...SO if you want to have your teeth look like S#it and develop osteoperosis when you are older eat nothing but junk, otherwise, you need to eat healthy bf or not bf...I dont understand how people can want to eat crap all day every day, BF or Not.

• Options

imageAMYfromKY:

Yes, this is what I thought too.  And this is why it's important that nursing mothers continue to take a daily PNV.

Here is more info:

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

https://www.babycenter.com/0_diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom_3565.bc

https://www.breastfeed.com/articles/feeding-baby/the-nursing-mother-s-diet-2752/

• Options

well yes what you eat effects your BM, it can change the levels of Pro/CHO/Fat

how much it changes it I don't know.But your milk would TASTE like those crappy foods which would cause baby to like those tastes in the long run.

ETA:sorry double post

ETA2 :nutrients and such won't be changed as other posters said unless you are really deficient in something

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options

well yes what you eat effects your BM, it can change the levels of Pro/CHO/Fat

how much it changes it I don't know.But your milk would TASTE like those crappy foods which would cause baby to like those tastes in the long run.

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"