Natural Birth
Options

Skip that Vitamin K shot!

I called our hospital to see what the Vitamin K shot ingredients were as we were both on the fence about it...here is what I found out about the one our hospital administers:

Made by Sandos (distributed by Baxter)

Contains: Phytonadione (synthetic Vitamin K), Proplene Glycol and Polyethylene Glycol, Water.

So, not only are you injecting your newborn with a synthetic form of vitamin k, but also two ingredients that are also used in anti-freeze, brake fluid, acrylic paints, shoe polish, etc. (I don't care how small the amount!)

Here is an article about how getting the shot puts your baby more at risk than if you skip it:

https://thehealthyhomeeconomist.blogspot.com/2010/03/skip-that-newborn-vitamin-k-shot.html

We are skipping the Vit K shot (I'm stocking up on my green veggies, so my breast milk will be rich in Vit K), skipping the ointment, and all vaccines.

Don't listen to the scare tactics they use to guilt you into getting it - most of us never had it when we were born.  It is a fairly new practice and unnecessary as you can stock up on vitamin K rich foods and provide your baby via breast milk the real vitamins (not synthetic).

Re: Skip that Vitamin K shot!

• Options

This is ridiculous and irresponsible.

And if you base a health decision for your newborn off a scare-tactic poorly-written non-scientific website, you're an idiot.

There is NO scientifically proven link between Vit K and childhood leukemia.  The fact that that website cites some outlandish statistic as "fact" in this regard tells me all I need to know about its veracity.

• Options

Well I'm skipping the shot. I'm not having a circumcision for my son, or if I was I might have considered it. I do plan on building up my vitK in my breast milk too. Not so much for the whole leukemia thing, but it seems more natural then a shot. There are a lot of practices that are performed on babies that are un-necessary.

I wouldn't ridacule anyone who choose to get it or not get it. Its their own choice.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNikki903:

I called our hospital to see what the Vitamin K shot ingredients were as we were both on the fence about it...here is what I found out about the one our hospital administers:

Contains: Phytonadione (synthetic Vitamin K), Proplene Glycol and Polyethylene Glycol, Water.

So, not only are you injecting your newborn with a synthetic form of vitamin k, but also two ingredients that are also used in anti-freeze, brake fluid, acrylic paints, shoe polish, etc. (I don't care how small the amount!)

Here is an article about how getting the shot puts your baby more at risk than if you skip it:

https://thehealthyhomeeconomist.blogspot.com/2010/03/skip-that-newborn-vitamin-k-shot.html

We are skipping the Vit K shot (I'm stocking up on my green veggies, so my breast milk will be rich in Vit K), skipping the ointment, and all vaccines.

Don't listen to the scare tactics they use to guilt you into getting it - most of us never had it when we were born.  It is a fairly new practice and unnecessary as you can stock up on vitamin K rich foods and provide your baby via breast milk the real vitamins (not synthetic).

Are you seriously citing a BLOG as your source? You are an idiot.

ETA: I just realize that the only source on that blog is an EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD "source" from a midwives' magazine that had not been peer-reviewed and HAS SINCE BEEN DISPROVEN.

Here's some actual, concrete, peer-reviewed medically sound information: Please note the parts that I have put in bold.

Newborn babies who are exclusively breast-fed are at increased risk of vitamin K deficiency, because human milk is relatively low in vitamin K compared to formula. Newborn infants, in general, have low vitamin K status for the following reasons: 1) vitamin K is not easily transported across the placental barrier; 2) the newborn's intestines are not yet colonized with bacteria that synthesize menaquinones; and 3) the vitamin K cycle may not be fully functional in newborns, especially premature infants (6). Infants whose mothers are on anticonvulsant medication to prevent seizures are also at risk of vitamin K deficiency. Vitamin K deficiency in newborns may result in a bleeding disorder called vitamin K deficiency bleeding (VKDB) of the newborn. Because VKDB is life-threatening and easily prevented, the American Academy of Pediatrics and a number of similar international organizations recommend that an injection of phylloquinone (vitamin K1) be administered to all newborns (15).

If that's not enough, here's some more:

Vitamin K and childhood leukemia: In the early 1990s, two retrospective studies were published suggesting a possible association between vitamin K injections in newborns and the development of childhood leukemia and other forms of childhood cancer. However, two large retrospective studies in the U.S. and Sweden that reviewed the medical records of 54,000 and 1.3 million children, respectively, found no evidence of a relationship between childhood cancers and vitamin K injections at birth (16, 17). Moreover, a pooled analysis of six case-control studies, including 2,431 children diagnosed with childhood cancer and 6,338 cancer-free children, found no evidence that vitamin K injections for newborns increased the risk of childhood leukemia (18). In a policy statement, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that routine vitamin K prophylaxis for newborns be continued because VKDB is life-threatening and the risks of cancer are unproven and unlikely (19). See the full text of the AAP policy statement on vitamin K and the newborn.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We skipped it too.

It's a safety net for the hospitals - it's an easy fix for helping babies blood clot. Since a shot is an easy thing to administer, they just make it a blanket procedure, no matter the individual circumstance.

If you could prevent a fatal brain hemorrhage with a simple shot, wouldn't you? Sure you would. So, they do it.
    But a better option would be to stop yanking them out by their heads with forceps. 

The reason they started the Vit K shot was because babies were dying from brain hemorrhages. The Dr.s were damaging babies heads/brains because of their interventions. Thus, the need for the Vit K shot.

Since I didn't have interventions and I had a very fast birth, I skipped the shot. It was unnecessary.

If you must have a baby removed with forceps, or they are in the birth canal for an unusually long time and their head is extremely molded, then I suggest you get the shot.

Either way, it's your choice. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageNikki903:

I'm not here to debate the shot.  I'm here to point out the irony of the bolded statement above.

• Options
    imageSoldiersGreenBean:
    imageNikki903:

I'm not here to debate the shot.  I'm here to point out the irony of the bolded statement above.

Yes

• Options
    imageSissyKate21:

We skipped it too.

It's a safety net for the hospitals - it's an easy fix for helping babies blood clot. Since a shot is an easy thing to administer, they just make it a blanket procedure, no matter the individual circumstance.

If you could prevent a fatal brain hemorrhage with a simple shot, wouldn't you? Sure you would. So, they do it.
    But a better option would be to stop yanking them out by their heads with forceps. 

The reason they started the Vit K shot was because babies were dying from brain hemorrhages. The Dr.s were damaging babies heads/brains because of their interventions. Thus, the need for the Vit K shot.

Since I didn't have interventions and I had a very fast birth, I skipped the shot. It was unnecessary.

If you must have a baby removed with forceps, or they are in the birth canal for an unusually long time and their head is extremely molded, then I suggest you get the shot.

Either way, it's your choice. 

This is such BS that I don't even know where to begin.   

• Options
    FWIW, our hospital gave us the option of administering the Vitamin K orally.
  • Options
    imageToledoDeux:

And if you base a health decision for your newborn off a scare-tactic poorly-written non-scientific website, you're an idiot.

There is NO scientifically proven link between Vit K and childhood leukemia.  The fact that that website cites some outlandish statistic as "fact" in this regard tells me all I need to know about its veracity.

Oh and all of this.....

I may be biased, though.  Natalie spent 3 weeks in NICU for a brain hemmorage/seizures  - she had ZERO risk factors, it was an easy birth (no vacuum, forceps, was not in birth canal very long or came too fast, did not come premature).   

• Options
    imagemonkeyqueen:
    imageToledoDeux:

this.

• Options

You might want to check some more sources.  We were on the fence about the Vit K shot and decided to wait and see what happened in birth. 

After the baby was born my midwives at the birth center where I delivered flet that my DD was at a higher risk for bleeding and should get the Vit K shot, so we got it for her.  Her risk factors included: low maternal platelets during pregnancy, precipitous labor, and the fact that I had trouble stopping bleeding after birth.  So for some babies the Vit K shot can be a really good thing.  Does every baby need it?  Maybe not, but some do and should get it so to tell everyone to skip it is ridiculous, especially citing a blog as your source of information. 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options

Stick to your guns, Niki!  Don't listen to childish name calling.  Seriously, women?  We do not have to resort to name calling, do we?  Can't we have an intelligent debate and hopefully agree to disagree?

Niki, I have no doubt that you have your child's best interest at heart.... otherwise you would have never questioned the issue.  Your body naturally produces Vit K.  This is how God made us.  When he configured man I believe he did not bank on everyone getting a vaccine.  You are well within your rights to load up on leafy greens and give your baby vitamins from a natural source.  Be confident in your decisions and feel free to personal message me if you ever need support or would like to talk :-)

• Options

imagedrbethgoodman:
    Your body naturally produces Vit K.  This is how God made us. 

Newborn bodies do not naturally produce vitamin K. Vitamin K comes from bacteria that live in your intestines and newborns have lived in a bacteria-free environment until birth. It takes a little while for their bodies to be colonized by all the good, natural bacteria that keeps the human body healthy. The point of the vitamin K shot is to bridge that gap.

• Options
    Oh, excuse me..... WE naturally produce Vitamin K for our babies.  This is how God made us!
  • Options
    exactly what are you a doctor of, beth?
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • Options
    you could opt for the oral vitamin k.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagedrbethgoodman:

Stick to your guns, Niki!  Don't listen to childish name calling.  Seriously, women?  We do not have to resort to name calling, do we?  Can't we have an intelligent debate and hopefully agree to disagree?

Niki, I have no doubt that you have your child's best interest at heart.... otherwise you would have never questioned the issue.  Your body naturally produces Vit K.  This is how God made us.  When he configured man I believe he did not bank on everyone getting a vaccine.  You are well within your rights to load up on leafy greens and give your baby vitamins from a natural source.  Be confident in your decisions and feel free to personal message me if you ever need support or would like to talk :-)

PSA to all: Please don't take medical advice about possible hemorrhagic disease in your newborn from a chiropractor.

• Options

imagedrbethgoodman:
    Oh, excuse me..... WE naturally produce Vitamin K for our babies.  This is how God made us!

Still.....terrible advice.

• Options
    imagedrbethgoodman:

This!

I will always read the post from those who have differing opinions than mine but are able to articulate them in an intelligent manner.  It causes me to think, and sometimes to do additional research on subjects I felt I had already researched enough just to see if there is compelling new information. 

I blocked the posters who *immediately* resort to name calling or use ad hominem fallacies of logic to debate these types of subjects.  I could never take seriously the advice given by anyone who immediately jumps to such tactics on any subject -- this or any other -- so I don't feel the need to see their constant negativity on these boards.  

• Options

Regarding the "name calling":

It is one thing to say "I am skipping the Vitamin K shot for my baby, and here is why."  (IMO, it is a bad decision, and misguided, but whatever.) 

But I take serious issue with posting "Skip that Vitamin K shot!" while using spuriously sourced scare tactics to support your so-called argument (while laughably decrying scare tactics yourself).  I have no respect for the poster or the post - and if I find it idiotic to base medical decisions on biased poorly-written websites, I will say so.

• Options
    imageNikki903:

I hope to god that you and your child are the old ones who suffer from this and that your don't infect a whole bunch of people needlessly with something that could have been prevented.  If someone dies form this it will all be on YOU.  Was that scary? Hope so!!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100729101605.htm

Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Options
    imageBlackvelvet:

I hope to god that you and your child are the old ones who suffer from this and that your don't infect a whole bunch of people needlessly with something that could have been prevented.  If someone dies form this it will all be on YOU.  

A little harsh, eh?

that being said, the debate against ALL vaccines, IMO, is entirely different than that of a Vitamin K injection and I think it drives the initial point of the topic off course.

So back to vitamin K, this is a conversation I never advise on because it's SO deeply personal, but I will always share extended reading material in which you can draw your own conclusions from STUDIES, not blogs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11003724

https://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002776.html

https://www.cps.ca/english/statements/fn/fn97-01.htm

https://thebabybond.com/VitaminKinjectORnot.html (the notes section sites sources)

https://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/newborn-vitamin-k.html (again, sites sources)

https://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vitktop.html (CA midwife, sites sources through out site) 

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/cochrane/puckett/review.htm (links to many studies/reviews) 

• Options
    imagekesrya:
    imagedrbethgoodman:

This!

I will always read the post from those who have differing opinions than mine but are able to articulate them in an intelligent manner.  It causes me to think, and sometimes to do additional research on subjects I felt I had already researched enough just to see if there is compelling new information. 

I blocked the posters who *immediately* resort to name calling or use ad hominem fallacies of logic to debate these types of subjects.  I could never take seriously the advice given by anyone who immediately jumps to such tactics on any subject -- this or any other -- so I don't feel the need to see their constant negativity on these boards.  

VERY well said!

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options
    imagemommyndoula:
    imageBlackvelvet:

I hope to god that you and your child are the old ones who suffer from this and that your don't infect a whole bunch of people needlessly with something that could have been prevented.  If someone dies form this it will all be on YOU.  

A little harsh, eh?

Not harsh at all. Real.

The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
  • Options

What bothers me about these posts is not the varied opinions on the vitamin K shot, but the way in which these mothers and mothers-to-be are addressing each other with such disrespect. I'm disappointed and embarrassed for each and every one of you ladies who called your fellow moms "idiots," "morons," etc.

People can disagree without being rude and disrespectful. Honestly, who raised you people?

*sigh*

• Options
    imageBlackvelvet:
    imageNikki903:

I hope to god that you and your child are the old ones who suffer from this and that your don't infect a whole bunch of people needlessly with something that could have been prevented.  If someone dies form this it will all be on YOU.  Was that scary? Hope so!!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100729101605.htm

Why would you wish suffering on any child? And why are some people on this board so extremely rude? I'm a giant ball of hormones, and I would never dream of saying some of the things you gals have said to each other in my worst moments. There is a lot of bad karma in some of these threads, and I try to avoid them, but saying you wish a child to suffer is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read.

Maybe exercise a little restraint and introspection before jumping to a rude response. Because THAT up there was extremely uncalled for, and is an absolutely terrible thing to say. 

• Options
    imageHayleeLynn89:

What bothers me about these posts is not the varied opinions on the vitamin K shot, but the way in which these mothers and mothers-to-be are addressing each other with such disrespect. I'm disappointed and embarrassed for each and every one of you ladies who called your fellow moms "idiots," "morons," etc.

People can disagree without being rude and disrespectful. Honestly, who raised you people?

*sigh*

Posting this on multiple boards so you can talk about 'rude' people behind their backs isn't considered 'rude and disrespectful' in your book?  Gotcha.

March Board, 2nd Tri, and 1st Tri?  Really?

• Options
    EXACTLY!! That's exactly what I'm saying, tinklinz. I'm glad there are at least a few decent people on this site!
  • Options
    I addressed it here too, actually, firsttimemama. Wishing an illness on an infant and calling people names is not nice. If you honestly disagree, I do not care to speak with you anyway.
  • Options
    DDing isn't nice either, Haylee.
  • Options
    Haylee, someone suggested to block the uncouth ladies so I did and trust me it's much better.  If you don't want to be around unrefined women.... you don't have to anymore!  It's much more peacefully over here with my puppies and rainbows.   I think what you did was nice.  Sticking up for someone who is being picked on is the right thing to do.  I respect you for that.  Most of the time it is harder to do what is right.  Thanks for reassuring me that people really are still good at heart.
  • Options

imagedrbethgoodman:
    Haylee, someone suggested to block the uncouth ladies so I did and trust me it's much better.  If you don't want to be around unrefined women.... you don't have to anymore!  It's much more peacefully over here with my puppies and rainbows.   I think what you did was nice.  Sticking up for someone who is being picked on is the right thing to do.  I respect you for that.  Most of the time it is harder to do what is right.  Thanks for reassuring me that people really are still good at heart.

You know what good people do?  They care about the general health and well-being of their community.  By vaccinating.

• Options
    Toledo, its no use.  You're blocked.  You make too much sense.  "Dr" Beth is plugging her ears, closing her eyes, and singing "la la la I can't hear youuuuuuuu"
  • Options
    imagePDXPhotoGrl:
    imagemommyndoula:
    imageBlackvelvet:

A little harsh, eh?

Not harsh at all. Real.

so you don't believe vaccinations even work? why give them? If you and your child are vaccinated, doesn't that mean your immune from acquiring said disease/illness?

I think it's unconscionable to wish injury or death on anyone, let alone when (in this case) the mother feels like she is making the best choice with the information that is being provided. 

Again, vaccinations are deeply personable decisions, like circumcision, and every parent making the choice deserves to do so without assault, attack or ridicule.  Presenting information to support your belief, great! Wishing injury/death, not so great.

I'm newer to TB, are forums even moderated?  

• Options
    imagemommyndoula:
    imagePDXPhotoGrl:
    imagemommyndoula:
    imageBlackvelvet:

so you don't believe vaccinations even work? why give them? If you and your child are vaccinated, doesn't that mean your immune from acquiring said disease/illness?

Of course vaccines work.  But there are some people who cannot get vaccinated, due to age, allergy, medical condition, etc.  These people are absolutely dependent on the rest of us - for whom vaccination is SAFE - to be fully vaccinated and reduce the incidence of disease in the general population.

• Options

Thank you, drbeth. I've done the same. It's refreshing to be able to go happily about the community and not see any of the nonsense. I like puppies and rainbows, thank you very much! =)

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:

Of course vaccines work.  But there are some people who cannot get vaccinated, due to age, allergy, medical condition, etc.  These people are absolutely dependent on the rest of us - for whom vaccination is SAFE - to be fully vaccinated and reduce the incidence of disease in the general population.

How do you know vaccination is safe?

There's plenty of information to show their lack of safety for even the general population. 

AND NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TOPIC OF VITAMIN K SHOTS, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VACCINATIONS.  

• Options
    imagemommyndoula:
    imageToledoDeux:

How do you know vaccination is safe?

There's plenty of information to show their lack of safety for even the general population. 

There is plenty of reputable information showing that the small risk of adverse reaction to a vaccine is greatly outweighed by the benefit of being protected from the known effects of the diseases they can prevent.

It's not rocket science here.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"