April 2011 Moms

My Parents are SO WEIRD

DH and I decided to tell our parents, even though it's early in the pregnancy, because we've had miscarriages before and our parents were hurt that they didn't find out until after. I was excited to tell my parents, because this is the first time I've had good news to share instead of bad.

First DH tells his parents and they say congratulations and ask us about the due date and possible names and what we'll need for the nursery. All the right stuff, you know? Then I tell my parents and I get almost no reaction from either of them. (They're divorced so I told them separately.)

Then, today, I randomly got a visit from each of them. My mother brought me a new type of dishwashing soap that she's discoverd and about 20 back issues of People, because she figured I wouldn't be leaving the house for a while. My dad brought over a new guitar for my husband and some coupons for cat litter that he cut out from the newspaper. Both left without asking about the pregnancy or saying congratulations.

I love them, but my parents are so weird!!! It's just not how I pictured they'd react when we told them! I told DH that I'm going to put a cat litter coupon and an article from People magazine into the baby book, so one day I can say, "And this is from your weird grandparents..."

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: My Parents are SO WEIRD

• That is a bit odd. I'd be pretty surprised by that kind of reaction as well but I LOLed at your last line :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am laughing right now, b/c I expect the same (probably even weirder acually) from my mom.  When we got engaged I got a blank stare.  My mom's side of the family is not great at expressing emotion in front of each other, so who knows what she'll do with this bit of info...prob ask if it was planned what will I do about work, etc.  She's a worry-wort!
  • Loading the player...
  • HAHA!!  THat is odd....hmmmm.....Maybe the coupons and magazines are their way of saying we're so excited!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow.  That is interesting.  Hilarious at the same time.  I don't know what I would do if my parents did something like that other than look at them as if they had four heads.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hmm - that is kind of odd. You had me cracking up with the last line, though  :)

I'm pretty sure we'll get a good reaction out of my parents considering before we were even married my mom said to me "I can't wait til you start having babies - I love being a grandma!" (my sister had just had her baby).  His parents may be another story, though. They're already kind of odd.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hey! I remember you from the TTC boards and I must have missed your BFP! Congratulations - I'm so excited we're April Mommies together!
  • My dad's reaction:

First - I don't remember giving you permission to get pregnant.

Then - So who's the father?  (DH and I have been married for 2 years.)

I don't think my dad is going to have a normal reaction until he actually sees his grandchild.  Even then I'm not sure. 

• I'm sorry.. I'm giggling right now because my mom is random a lot and this reminded me of her. The dish soap and coupons thing is totally something she would do.

I'm sure your parents are super excited, but they aren't trying to get too excited right now because of the history of m/c. I'm sure they will show their excitement more as time goes along!

I didn't get the reaction out of my family either when we told them. My sister's first reaction was "Ooooh NO....." with her hands on her face. Grreeat. Then when I told my mom, she gave me a big hug, was super happy. But, then, after a few minutes, she asked why I hadn't been on birth control and that I "better get back on the pill the second this baby is born." This baby is a surprise. Gee, thanks, mom.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"