3rd Trimester

NBR, "Greenback" shower

I just received an invitation to a greenback bridal shower.  Can this be any tackier?  I should mention this couple has a child my daughters age and is now having a huge wedding.  Needless to say, I understand they may not need much in the way of household items, but must we put greenback on the invitation?  Ugh..  I may bring a wrapped present just because.

Re: NBR, "Greenback" shower

• OMG, I am embarrassed for them.  That is hideously tacky.
  • Any greenback showers that I've been to, you buy a ticket and don't bring a gift.  So by putting greenback on the invite are they basically saying "no gifts, bring cash"?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Since joining these boards, I've learned soo much about showers and etiquette...

::off to plan my own 2nd shower, at which I'll only ask for gift cards and greenbacks, plus have at a really nice restaurant so everyone has to pay or themselves::

and I will be asking everyone to bring a stamp so they can put it on their own thank you envelope (which of course they'll be addressing). 

• I looked up "greenback" because I thought there was a meaning other than "cash money." But I couldn't find another meaning...Does this mean they want a shower where all they get is cash?

"To me, you are perfect."

• Klassy with a capital K!
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's the tackiest thing I have heard in a very long time!!!
  • imageKJmashup:

I looked up "greenback" because I thought there was a meaning other than "cash money." But I couldn't find another meaning...Does this mean they want a shower where all they get is cash?

yes, just money.  But, I will not participate in this.  I refuse. Will I look like an ass?  Yes...but I am bringing a gift.  I should mention it's my first cousin's fiancee.

• imagewife1014:
    imageKJmashup:

I looked up "greenback" because I thought there was a meaning other than "cash money." But I couldn't find another meaning...Does this mean they want a shower where all they get is cash?

yes, just money.  But, I will not participate in this.  I refuse. Will I look like an ass?  Yes...but I am bringing a gift.  I should mention it's my first cousin's fiancee.

Of all the ass-hattery I've seen lately regarding showers, this one might just take home first prize.  

"To me, you are perfect."

• Everyone appreciates McDonald's bucks, right?
  • imageredjetta22:
    Everyone appreciates McDonald's bucks, right?

Or Monopoly money... 

• That is pretty effing bold if you ask me.  You should bring something handmade.. that's probably the most 'opposite of cash' you can get, right?
  • imagekehgirl:
    That is pretty effing bold if you ask me.  You should bring something handmade.. that's probably the most 'opposite of cash' you can get, right?

Fig preserves, maybe.. that would be so nice!  And knit some pot holders.

• i hate when people ask for specific things. yes its obvious people are bringing presents, but so rude to tell them what to bring. tacky.
  • imageredjetta22:

imagekehgirl:
    That is pretty effing bold if you ask me.  You should bring something handmade.. that's probably the most 'opposite of cash' you can get, right?

My neighbor just canned some pickles...that's it!  Pickles!

• imagewife1014:
    imageredjetta22:

imagekehgirl:

Oohh... you should get her all of the stuff so she will be able to can her own pickles. I bet she'd love that!  

• imagejamiemsmith:
    imagewife1014:
    imageredjetta22:

imagekehgirl:

Oohh... you should get her all of the stuff so she will be able to can her own pickles. I bet she'd love that!  

brilliant!!!
  • imagestephanieroyer:
    imagejamiemsmith:
    imagewife1014:
    imageredjetta22:

imagekehgirl:

brilliant!!!

perfect, absolutely perfect!

• imagewife1014:
    imageredjetta22:

imagekehgirl:

Sounds like the makings of a lovely gift basket :) 

• imagejamiemsmith:

Since joining these boards, I've learned soo much about showers and etiquette...

::off to plan my own 2nd shower, at which I'll only ask for gift cards and greenbacks, plus have at a really nice restaurant so everyone has to pay or themselves::

and I will be asking everyone to bring a stamp so they can put it on their own thank you envelope (which of course they'll be addressing). 

Bahahahaha!

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never heard of such a thing.  I probably wouldn't go, but I suppose you could bring her a sock full of pennies.
  • imagewife1014:

I just received an invitation to a greenback bridal shower.  Can this be any tackier?  I should mention this couple has a child my daughters age and is now having a huge wedding.  Needless to say, I understand they may not need much in the way of household items, but must we put greenback on the invitation?  Ugh..  I may bring a wrapped present just because.

Funny local story..I've been invited to quite a few of these in my adult life,and 99.9% of the people lived in Putnam.. I'm curious if tackiness is popular there.I brought a wrapped present as well.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• imagestarrkitten89:
    imagewife1014:

Funny local story..I've been invited to quite a few of these in my adult life,and 99.9% of the people lived in Putnam.. I'm curious if tackiness is popular there.I brought a wrapped present as well.

OOhhh Putnam, you wouldn't believe that tackniness there in Putnam.  There is a whole different breed living and procreating in Putnam.  They have Jack & Jills which are advertised in the local free paper. I am not from the area, I didn't grow up here.  I am from Rhode Island and transplanted near there.  The shower isn't for a CT local either...Rhode Islander.  But, yes Putnam can make anyone Confused  especially at one of their festivals.

• imagewife1014:
    imagestarrkitten89:
    imagewife1014:

OOhhh Putnam, you wouldn't believe that tackniness there in Putnam.  There is a whole different breed living and procreating in Putnam.  They have Jack & Jills which are advertised in the local free paper. I am not from the area, I didn't grow up here.  I am from Rhode Island and transplanted near there.  The shower isn't for a CT local either...Rhode Islander.  But, yes Putnam can make anyone Confused  especially at one of their festivals.

Thankfully I've never had the pleasure of one of their festivals.I don't even think I want to know what thed activities would be!

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"