Multiples
Options

Do you feel like having twins keeps your from doing stuff?

I feel like it keeps me from doing things by myself.  The boys are just at a really difficult age and there are a lot of activities I just don't do because it's so hard to keep up with both when they start their tantrums.  I know that if I only had one baby to care for, I would be able to do more because my focus would always be on that one baby and not divided.

Re: Do you feel like having twins keeps your from doing stuff?

• Options

https://howdoyoudoit.wordpress.com/

I dont remmeber if someone posted this earlier or if I just ran across it while random googling.  Although, I am barely prego, I worry a lot about having two and caring for two. I read this today and went to the newer page and saw that I am not really all that crazy or alone. i hope this helps, it made me feel a little better today.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Definitely! Pretty much everything that involves leaving the house would be easier if there were just one of them. I still do stuff, but certain things (like taking them to the playground or pool) would happen a lot more often if I just had one. (Or if one of them were several years older, or if I had an 18-month-old and a newborn. At the playground, I could wear the baby and chase after the toddler. We have no toddler-friendly playgrounds in the area.)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sure it does.  But oh well.  You just have to do what you can and focus on the good.  We've gone out to dinner (a lot of outdoor patios) and out of town. I take the babies shopping sometimes, and we do our best.  Things don't always go as planned, and it's easy to see how it could be easier with just one, but we have two.  Why dwell on other people's lives?  I also know plenty of parents of one who are miserable with how their lives are limited, especially if they have one particularly difficult child.  Try to keep a positive attitude since it is overall a positive thing.

• Options

I haven't let them limit me any more than if there were one of them.  I still go shopping, to visit my parents 2 hrs away, etc. 

I could be singing a totally different tune once they're mobile though

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Really the only thing I don't do with them very often, that I know I would do a lot more if I only had one child, is go swimming.  That's mainly because the pool closest to my house (and that's free for us) starts at 4 feet deep, and there's no way I'm taking two toddlers in that by myself, even with life vests.  When I do want to go swimming, I'll put one in hourly care and take the other, and then switch it up the next day.  Plus they also get some one on one time with me that way, so it probably works out better anyway.

I really can't think of anything else that I don't do just because I have twins.  We're lucky that we have toddler-friendly playgrounds around here so that's not an issue.  Obviously it takes longer to get in and out of the house with two, but not to the point that I just don't take them anywhere. 

We don't do Mommy and Me type classes, or Gymboree, or anything like that, but I wouldn't do those even if I had only one kid. 

• Options

I do my absolute best to not let it... but yes sometimes it does.

If it was just me and one LO I'd be taking them swimming but I don't think it's safe for just me to take 2 9 month olds to the pool.  And actually, thanks to my DH who never wants to go when we have the time and nice weather, our girls have never been in a pool.  I'm about to enlist a friend to help me take them swimming because he always has some stupid excuse (long story for another time).  The hourly care thing sounds like a great idea and one on one time is always nice.

"Mommy and me" activities, and even playgroups have proven to be too much to handle for now.  I'm sure that will change as they get older.

• Options

all.the.time. As most know my DH is only home 3 days out of every month, so pretty much everything is done by me.

I would love to take them in our swimming pool more often, but I just cannot do this by myself, it stresses me out way too much because they are at an age, where they want to walk the edge of the pool and not sit like they are told to, and if I have one in the pool with me, I can't keep the other one sitting still on the edge and wait her turn.

My friends with singletons always talk about activities they like to do with their toddlers, like Gymboree classes or putting a bike seat on the back of their bikes and riding with their kiddos. This is what I would love to do if I only had a singleton.

But with all of that being said, I would not give up my girls or this experience for anything. I get double the hugs, double the giggles and double the wet sloppy kisses everyday.Smile

• Options
    imageregenab:

But with all of that being said, I would not give up my girls or this experience for anything. I get double the hugs, double the giggles and double the wet sloppy kisses everyday.Smile

aww, too sweet.  mine are starting to hug and kiss and it melts my heart... overwhelmed with love for 2 babies :)

erinri02 -  yes, of course it limits what i do!  i am very lucky that my dh comes home by 4pm everyday, so we can all go out together before dinner. 

so, we were talking about this last week, right?  one thing i decided to do was to take them outside more, keep one in the stroller and let them out one at a time.  i can see it would fail if they wouldn't put up with it.  but so far, so good. 

also, decided to get backpack harnesses.  got them sunday, but haven't tried them yet.  i think it will frustrate them, but i'll try anything.  i hate being stuck in the house after spending their first 10mos being "careful/boring" as per ped's instruction. 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't let it stop me from doing anything. We go shopping, to the grocery store, playdates, to the mall, take Gymboree class, go to open gym at Gymboree etc.. every single time i go out with them alone I get people coming up to me amazed and giving me credit for being out and about and asking "how I do it". I believe you just have to be more organized. I actually love going out with them,  it reminds me how special it is to be a MoM  when singleton moms are so "wowed" :)

maybe when they are mobile I will be more restricted but from day one I promised myself I would do whatever I wanted with the twins that I would have with one.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm with those who don't do as much, yes.... no pool by myself, I don't do Gymboree/mommy & me stuff (I kept meaning to call & find out how that would even work or if allowed), and the one thing that bothers me the most, is that I don't get outside to play in the yard/driveway/etc like I'd like to.  Part of it is how ungodly hot this summer has been so there is limited opportunity during the day and also that I don't have many outdoor toys, etc but much of it is just transporting the two of them out there, keeping them contained now that DS walks and keeping an eye on them since the main focus seems to be putting dried leaves, sticks and those things that fall from trees that they could choke on in their mouths (our yard is heavily shaded, tons of trees so there is a ton of that type of stuff on our lawn).  I'm getting them cozy coupes for their bday and starting to try different approaches to being outside but it has been a struggle for me. 

• Options

I try really hard not to feel this way.

I run w/ them every morning and we do at least 1 outing every day...monday we went grocery shopping, yesterday we wen to target and today we are going to costco.   they really really like going places and since we've been going places since they've been little, they are incredibly well behaved. 

Obviously I cant take them to the pool by myself, so there are limitations, but I just save these things for the weekend and enjoy them with my DH.

• Options

At this point, of course!  LOL. 

But, I felt the same way you do with my singleton too, he was needy and made it impossible for me to leave him for long until around 2. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"