Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

**hapilyhis**

Your children are beautiful. What are you using for your daughters hair? Did you use the same for your son? I need a recommendation. I was told to use mineral oil and Vaseline - but his hair ends up greasy/ oily but not really moisturized. TIA. ETA: He has so much hair - I don't know what to do with it so I just give him a fro.      
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: **hapilyhis**

• Options

Hi - thanks! We are actually trying to find the right products for Lauryn's hair. All of a sudden she has decided to develop cradle cap, so I've just been washing it every other day with Baby Aveeno moisturizing shampoo and I actually use a braid spray on her scalp to keep it from flaking. I don't remember the name, but I will look when I get home and PM you. It doesn't smell that great, but it works. I really try not to use too much product because her hair attracts lint as it is and any kind of grease just makes it stickier. But plaiting it and spraying the braid spray helps keep it soft enough to get a comb through or combing it when it's still damp from washing.

With Nick, I just flat out gave up on that nappy stuff when he was around 8 months old. He was tender-headed (Lauryn is not), so I would just pick it out into a fro when it was wet. His dad wouldn't let him get it cut until he was about 14 months old and I couldn't wait! I haven't looked back since!

There was an Afro-Amer baby hair blog I used to visit, can't remember it now, but I will try to google it for you too. What are you using now? Would you want to braid it? I let my sister braid Nick's once for his birthday but I don't really care for the cornrows on little boys.

• Options

I really don't care for the cornrows on little boys either. But - I know we are not going to get it cut for a while at least. I try to wash it when it is damp also - I just feel like I could do more... but I guess not... LOL.

And YES - his hair attracts SO MUCH LINT. I kept wondering why that is. How often should I be washing his hair? I know our hair gets really dry so I don't want to do it every night but I am still not sure on how often I should be doing it.

Thanks for the refs.... I will Google that blog.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Before the cradle cap thing, I was only washing her hair twice a week because like you said, it can get really dry. I only wash my own hair once a week for that very reason. The only reason I even wash hers twice a week is because it holds odors. Her hair smells like her babysitter's house. LOL

I did try olive oil on her scalp and that was a disaster - it seemed to make it even more dry. I haven't tried mineral oil, but I would definitely think vaseline is way too heavy/sticky. Depending on how long his hair is, you could just put it in big 2-strand twists before bed (don't have to be neat or anything) and just pick them out in the morning. His fro would be soft, full and tangle-free. Oh, that just reminded me! I did use stay-sof-fro on Nick! It comes in a brown bottle or tube as a spray or as a cream. I used the spray. You only need to use a little and it makes it very easy to comb - too much, and it gets greasy. I used to use it on my own fro when I was natural. You may have to wash his hair a few times a week because like any product you put directly on the hair, it can build up. But it really makes it soft and manageable and it will enhance the curl pattern of his hair.

ETA: this is the sta sof fro

• Options

Thanks so much!!!

Also - not to sound like a stalker but I loved the picture you had up before... of you and Lauryn on the beach.  So pretty.

• Options

Aw, thanks. That was one of my favorites too - sadly she has already outgrown that little swimsuit!

So I found this site, it wasn't what I was looking for, but it is a gold mine of information for natural hair period and it has a great section in the forums on children's hair. You have to register, but it's free: www.nappturality.com

• Options
    Great!  Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"