Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Weaning off of white noise

Tegan's been sleeping with white noise since she was 2 months old. We discovered that if we put on the white noise, gave her a pacifier and laid her down, she'd quietly drift off to sleep on her own. However, when she started daycare at 3 months old, we couldn't find a way to bring her white noise to the daycare and so her daycare naps were all over the place.

I've been home for the summer, but on August 10th, I have to start back to work (I'm a teacher) and Tegan will be going back to daycare 3 days a week. So, I'm weaning her off the white noise. It makes me sad because I know it calms her and helps her sleep, but I also know that it's important for her to learn how to fall asleep without it, since she can't have it at daycare. We're on our first nap without white noise although she does have lullabies playing, since they play those at daycare during naptime.

She was so upset when I laid her down and didn't put on the white noise. I finally had to go in and rock her to sleep, but she did fall asleep without the noise, so that's a plus. Ugh! Any suggestions on how to make this an easier transition?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weaning off of white noise

• Options
    I've never thought about having to ween DD off of white noise (both DH an I have to have fans going at night). Could you possibly start putting the white noise as low as it goes? Then she could hear, just at a lower pitch, and then you can turn it off all together.
  • Options
    Why do you have to?  I actually think it's better that she's used to going to sleep with some "noise" as oppose to a very quiet environment.  She wouldn't have such a quiet environment in daycare to take naps.  Can you have her sleep with one of those mommy bear or sleep sheep so she has her own personal white noise for nap time when she goes to daycare?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I still sleep with a sound machine.  If that's not on, then a fan has got to be on.

• Options

imagemsnehz:
    Why do you have to?  I actually think it's better that she's used to going to sleep with some "noise" as oppose to a very quiet environment.  She wouldn't have such a quiet environment in daycare to take naps.  Can you have her sleep with one of those mommy bear or sleep sheep so she has her own personal white noise for nap time when she goes to daycare?

I wish, they won't let her have anything in her crib except for a blanket. It's the only thing that really frustrates me, because she sleeps with a lovey at home and would sleep better with it at daycare.

The reason why I am weaning her off the white noise is because she seemed to be unable to sleep without it at daycare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAbinormal:

imagemsnehz:

I wish, they won't let her have anything in her crib except for a blanket. It's the only thing that really frustrates me, because she sleeps with a lovey at home and would sleep better with it at daycare.

The reason why I am weaning her off the white noise is because she seemed to be unable to sleep without it at daycare.

That's seems so silly to me that the daycare won't let LO have something that would sooth and comfort them for naps.  I mean I can understand not having 10 soothers in the crib!  But not all LO are attached to blankets,some prefer a specific toy to be able to nap.  Sorry I wasn't much help.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

We always play the rain sound at our home for DS but I found out by accident that he really doesnt need it to fall asleep (my mom put him to bed one night and while we were talking I said I better go turn off the projector and she said oh i forgot to turn those on - DS was fast asleep). 

I would still let your LO have the sound at home.....DS takes naps fine at DC without having a sound machine.  She'll get use to whatever environment she is in..home = sound....DC = no sound. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"