Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

She is bored at our house with us please help!

She is happy all day at the sitter's with other kids, or if we are out all day shopping or running errands she loves it. But when we are at just home the three of us it seems like we can't keep her entertained. Yesterday she was crabby all morning and afternoon and then a bunch of people and three other kids came over for a bbq and she was so happy she just watched the other little kids and semi played with them. I don't know what to do. We have all kinds of noisy toys that will entertain her for 10 minutes max and then she is just mad. I try to play with her and she just looks at me and cries and whines. It is so frusturating. What can I do to entertain her? It makes me so sad that she doesn't like being at home with us.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: She is bored at our house with us please help!

• Options
    I sit on the floor with Ophelia a lot.  Also, I let her play on her own a good bit.  Often, when I first put her down to play she'll whine or cry but her attention span is so short if I just go around the corner and give her a min she gets distracted by a toy and is good to go.  The exersaucer is good for a bit. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD seems happy and distracted when we have company too. I think it's just the new faces.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If she likes people so much maybe she'd like dolls or pictures of people. Music and dancing is also along those same lines, new voices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageceliabwatson:
    If she likes people so much maybe she'd like dolls or pictures of people. Music and dancing is also along those same lines, new voices.

thanks for the advice that reminded me she has one of those books that can be chewed on but we can put pictures in them. maybe I will put some pictures of her kid friends in there.

• Options
    I highly doubt your baby is bored. Your baby is a baby, after all. They can be perfectly content lying on the floor staring at the ceiling fan, doing nothing at all. Perhaps your baby gets overstimulated by all those noisy toys you mentioned. Trust me, your baby does not need any of that stuff to be happy. Simplify things: read to baby, sit on floor and talk to baby, go for walks with baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son LOVES stroller walks and being outside watching cars or kids go by.  And he loves books be read to him - he pays attention so much to books.  I know what you mean about feeling like you have to entertain but they also need some time to play on their own.  Maybe change her position - I know if DS is sitting for awhile and I put him on his back or tummy he'll be good to go for a bit longer.  It's tiring for sure...back to work tomorrow :) 
  • Options

During the day we rotate between the jumper, exersaucer, floor time in the playroom, books, going for a walk, and some days I might throw in a baby einstein DVD.

That is on days where we stay in.

• Options

imageSawyerplus1:
    I highly doubt your baby is bored. Your baby is a baby, after all. They can be perfectly content lying on the floor staring at the ceiling fan, doing nothing at all. Perhaps your baby gets overstimulated by all those noisy toys you mentioned. Trust me, your baby does not need any of that stuff to be happy. Simplify things: read to baby, sit on floor and talk to baby, go for walks with baby. 

My LO is not ever perfectly content lying on the floor looking at the fan.  Babies can get bored. I appreciate your advice though we do trying playing with her and we read books everynight. Well we attempt to read a book while LO trys to eat the book. Walks do work but it has been in the 100s everyday for the past two weeks and is suppose to be just as hot this week. A walk just isn't an option right now. She is just a needy little girl right now :)

• Options

imagediana.filipi:
    I sit on the floor with Ophelia a lot.  Also, I let her play on her own a good bit.  Often, when I first put her down to play she'll whine or cry but her attention span is so short if I just go around the corner and give her a min she gets distracted by a toy and is good to go.  The exersaucer is good for a bit. 

This. We don't have an exersaucer, but DD also loves playing in her highchair. I just put a couple toys on her tray and let her go while I do things in the kitchen.

• Options

imageSawyerplus1:

I agree with this. The fewer toys I put on the floor for DS to play with the happier he is. I select one or two toys and he's content for hours. Usually he is just happy with the outside of the jumperoo, the blanket he's on, his binky or the carpet, LOL.

• Options
    imagenealbl:

imageSawyerplus1:

My LO is not ever perfectly content lying on the floor looking at the fan.  Babies can get bored. I appreciate your advice though we do trying playing with her and we read books everynight. Well we attempt to read a book while LO trys to eat the book. Walks do work but it has been in the 100s everyday for the past two weeks and is suppose to be just as hot this week. A walk just isn't an option right now. She is just a needy little girl right now :)

I understand the op's opinion but I agree that babies CAN get bored.  I like the idea about putting pics into the chew on picture book.  Also, go to Barnes and Noble and get some baby books of baby faces.  Is your LO crawling yet?  Ophelia is so I put toys around the play area so she can go to different spots to get them.  I give her a book to chew while I read one (I rotate among 4 books usually cuzz she wants to chew the one I'm reading).  Does your LO like a doorway jumper?  Ophelia jumps up and down like CRAZY in hers.  Maybe try having music on while she's playing.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagediana.filipi:
    imagenealbl:

imageSawyerplus1:

I understand the op's opinion but I agree that babies CAN get bored.  I like the idea about putting pics into the chew on picture book.  Also, go to Barnes and Noble and get some baby books of baby faces.  Is your LO crawling yet?  Ophelia is so I put toys around the play area so she can go to different spots to get them.  I give her a book to chew while I read one (I rotate among 4 books usually cuzz she wants to chew the one I'm reading).  Does your LO like a doorway jumper?  Ophelia jumps up and down like CRAZY in hers.  Maybe try having music on while she's playing.

Ditto - my kid totally gets bored.  He is super active and loves being out and about and looking at people and he never sits still.  The whole "I doubt your kid is bored" comment was really rude.  All babies are different.  If my kid was entertained by a ceiling fan I'd feel like it was xmas.

• Options
    imageSeaMama:
    imagediana.filipi:
    imagenealbl:

imageSawyerplus1:

Ditto - my kid totally gets bored.  He is super active and loves being out and about and looking at people and he never sits still.  The whole "I doubt your kid is bored" comment was really rude.  All babies are different.  If my kid was entertained by a ceiling fan I'd feel like it was xmas.

I wasn't saying that babies CANT get bored. But I do think that a lot of times babies can be overstimulated by an onslaught of colorful, noisy toys. Sometimes simplicity is best. Sorry if I offended. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemooshagirl:
    I would just try a change of scenery at your house.  Just yesterday, I was talking to DH as he was getting dressed for the day and I had DD down on the floor in our walk-in closet and I pulled down some of DH's ties and laid them on the floor in front of her and she played with them for about 1/2 hour straight!  You can do all kinds of things like this with things around the house.  If your DD is sitting up, plop her in front of your tupperware drawer and let her pull out the containers and lids.  Or get some mixing bowls and a wooden spoon and show her how to bang on them.  Put her on the bed while you're folding laundry and let her play with the clothes while you talk to her.  You'd be amazed at the simplest things that can entertain a baby.

This. DH and I joke that we shouldn't even bother buying toys for the kids, b/c they're much more interested in the every day stuff in our house. DS loves my kitchen gadgets, and has been helping me cook since he was a toddler. He has his very own sweeper as well (one of those push ones like they have a restaurants)- this is a bonus as I don't have to vacuum as often b/c he does it while "playing". DD can play with a cardboard box for a good 20 minutes, opening it, closing it, picking it up, throwing it down... Give a choice of two or three things to play with, and put the other toys in a storage container until it seems LO's "bored" with them- then, switch out for new toys. Cool thing about that is, once you rotate back to the old things LO was bored with, they'll be shiny and new again.

Most babies, when left to their own devices, will find something that interests them and be able to occupy themselves for a little while. If they're not doing this, step back a bit in your involvement, b/c they might be relying on your stimulation rather than learning to stimulate their own curiosity and imagination. You can let them know you're there, but constantly putting one thing in front of them after another can get overwhelming. And agreed also that plastic, noisy toys tend to be the ones they get bored with/ overstimulated by the fastest- try something a little more open ended like blocks, a shoebox with a variety of objects with different textures, or something that LO can manipulate to make their own noise (ie spoon and a pan).

• Options

I also think that comment was pretty rude.  Babies can definitely get bored.  I do agree that they can also get overstimulated by having too many toys offerred so at least that part of the post was helpful.  To OP, my DD sounds a lot like yours. She has a definite "I'm sick of this" whine. We alternate between playing in the living room and her bedroom.  I also take her out on the patio or out for walks.  I think putting pics of the kids she plays with in a "chewable" book is a great idea. 

• Options
    imagenealbl:

imageSawyerplus1:

Mine either!!!  NEVER has been a sit still and chill kind of baby....I feel you OP!  Lucas is the EXACT same way and I get frustrated, too!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.raisinghopehappinessandlucas.typepad.com 37 and dx with DOR...just fabulous
  • Options

I think many of you would enjoy this article (or blog post):

https://www.janetlansbury.com/2010/04/baby-interrupted-7-ways-to-build-your-childs-focus-and-attention-span/

It speaks to babies and boredom and stuff. I agree that babies can get bored, but I also think that their attention span before getting bored is effected by their environment and that it's something they can get better at. I teach 1st/2nd graders and focus is a big thing for us. There are significant differences in the ability to focus from one kid to the next. There are also significant differences in their creativity during free play times and often the two are correlated. I have one girl who is very focused during "work" time and also very focused during "play" time. She never tells me she's bored. There are other students who have trouble staying on task, and are also the ones to claim boredom at recess. Just something to think about. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice. We do have an exersaucer and I put her in it but that lasts just a couple of minutes and then comes the whine. She does love the outdoors but it is just so hot right now. heat index 100 today heat index 110 tommorrow I am going to move our tupperware to the bottom shelf of the cabinet and let her play them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"