March 2011 Moms
Options

Midwife vs Doctor

What is a midwife?  At the dr office, they said that i can start seeing a midwife or a dr.  I asked what the difference is and they said that the only difference is that the midwife will "be more available and pay more attention to me".  That sounds great, but then why are they not doctors?  Does anyone know and who has everyone decided to see?  Midwife or Dr?

Thanks!

Jessica

Re: Midwife vs Doctor

• Options

I don't know what credentials you have to get to be considered a mid-wife, but my understanding is that they will provide a more personal experience.  I believe that many of them will come to your home, and I think that some will do home births.  They are more into letting you create a unique birth plan, versus standard care that you will generally get through a doctor's office.

This is nothing that I have researched, more just my view from what I have seen... I did watch a documentary called "The Business of Being Born" and it addresses mid-wives.  It is pretty interesting, if you want to watch it. 

formerly *Abby*
    BFP 10/05/09 - natural m/c 10/22/09... BFP 07/18/2010 - My BFP Chart - Due March 29, 2011
    My Pregnancy Blog
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "You are the best thing, that's ever been mine." - Taylor Swift, "Mine"
    Labor Buddy to leneae10 and kilissa
  • Options

I see both. I will use a Dr for delivery b/c I am having a c-section, but I just had my appt w/ my mid-wife. Example: She came into the ultrasound w/ me and held my hand b/c she knew how nervous I was. A Dr. is unlikely to do that/have the time to do that.

A Dr. obviously has a higher degree, but I think mid-wives are just as competent. The only downside is if you go w/ a mid-wife and end up needing a last min. c-section you wil just be assigned to a random Dr.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Basically the OBs have surgical training and midwives don't.  I would venture to say that they both have about the same amount of training as far as gynelogical care since most midwives have to go for additional training beyond their RN.  I see a midwife for my annual appointments and pap, not an OB. 

I saw a midwife throughout my last pregnancy, but had a c/s and had an OB in the practice I didn't meet yet (my midwife was by my side holding my hand the whole time anyways).  You can still get an epidural and all that stuff with a midwife since it's not the OB administering it anyways.  One perk for me was that the midwives allowed you to eat and drink during labor, but the OBs in the hospital didn't, go figure.  In the beginning of my pregnancy with DS I had some bleeding issues and the midwife talked it over with the head OB and we came to a conclusion, but otherwise I was low risk (even with my high BP and induction at the end).  

I think it's great to see a midwife and know that you have an OB for backup if something goes wrong. 

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There are 2 kinds of midwives - Nurse Midwives and Direct Entry Midwives. Nurse midwives have trained as nurses first and then gone on to train in midwifery. Direct entry midwives have just trained in midwifery. If a midwife is a CPM or CNM (which they probably are at your doctors office) they have been certified (and recertified every 3 years I believe).

Midwives have a stronger belief that pregnancy is a natural, not medical, event. They can no do things like perform c-sections, and I don't think can use forceps or a ventouse (at least in my experience), so a doctor would be called in for anything that is 'surgical'.

I loved my midwifery experience, and am going that route again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Midwives do not go to medical school, they go to midwifery school. Doctors whether they are DO or MD go to medical school and complete a residency. Midwives are very skilled at taking care of patients and babies for low risk normal pregnancies. Any complication (and I think even multiples) needs to be seen by an OB. I used a midwife for my two previous children and I just loved her. I happened to have the same wonderful midwife deliver them both. I chose midwives because there were just 4 in the practice vs 10+ OBs, many of whom are residents. Which is fine (my dh is a resident). I just felt so comfortable with the midwives and felt like the OBs chose to do many more non-necessary interventional things while pregnant. Its a personal decision, what you feel most comfortable with.
  • Options
    I am using a midwife and my hospital actually has midwives deliver all of the babies without complications.  They only call in an OB if there is some sort of issue.  I figured if that was the case, then I definitely would prefer to just see the midwife all along.  I agree with PPs about their training and their ability to spend more time with you and that their philosophy usually trends toward birth being a natural process that they are helping to guide you through.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"