Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Fifth Disease

Have any of your LO's had Fifth Disease?  My sister called saying she thinks her sons have Fifth Disease.  My other sister said her daughter has the slapped cheek look but nothing else.  Just wondering what the symptoms were that your children had.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fifth Disease

• My son didn't have it, but I got it from a student while I was pregnant.  I had the slapped cheek symptom and that's how I found out that I had it.  Before that I didn't recall having any symptoms, but they say it's just like a cold...runny nose, sneezing, and sometimes a fever.  The rash comes afterward.  It's very common in children, from what I've learned. It's very contagious because the infected person isn't usually diagnosed until after the rash (slapped cheek appearance) occurs. Once you have it, you usually don't get it again.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My sister doesn't remember her kids having any flu like symptoms.  DD has had a runny (clear) nose since Tuesday.  I guess I will just have to wait and see if she ends up with the rash?  My sister isn't planning on taking her children to the doctor to get checked out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I see this a lot at work. It usually starts with constitutional symptoms (ie fever, runny nose, URI symptoms), but does not have to. Then the "slapped cheeks" come out...it's a red, lacey, looks just like someone slapped your kid across the face. Then usually a "macularpapular" rash (red, usually flat, sometimes bumpy rash) comes out and last a few days then goes away.

It's caused by Parvovirus B19, which is nothing bad, but highly contagious. It can cause problems to fetus'...but since it's the 5th most common viral exanthem of childhood (hence the name), most women have already had it by the time they are old engouh to be pregnant.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"