Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

breastfeeding woes...i'm a little sad right now

i was so excited because we have gotten down to supplementing only 2-6oz/day lately.  ds has been snacking and pulling off the boob for a few days all day long, so i knew something was up.  today he took over 11oz and it just made me sad.  i hope it goes back to normal.  i really want to try to make it to at least 6 months.  i know the most important thing is to feed him, but seeing him scarf down over 5oz the last feeding after i don't even supplement that much some days was really sad.

it's just disappointing b/c i felt like i might be on the road to not having to supplement at all.  this just felt like such a setback.  i did have cramps today, so maybe AF is around the corner?  not looking forward to seeing her again! it's been over a year.  sigh... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: breastfeeding woes...i'm a little sad right now

• Options
    ((((americanada)))) You are a totally awesome Mama for putting in the effort to do what you feel is right for B.  I wish for you that it could go the way you had imagined it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Options
    Is he nursing, pulling off then looking around, at you, playing? If so that's totally normal at this age and it is now a regular thing for DS. I am sorry things are so tough right now and you are doing an awesome job!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you pumping when supplementing?  If AF is coming, then your supply should come right back after a couple of days.  The pumping while supplementing thing will help. 
  • Options

imagegrapeape73:
    Are you pumping when supplementing?  If AF is coming, then your supply should come right back after a couple of days.  The pumping while supplementing thing will help. 

i don't respond to the pump.  so, no, i don't pump.  on a rare occasion i will, usually to help get a clogged duct out.  i've been doing it this way for about 4 months and for some reason the opposite thing happened for me.  i was pumping in the beginning and it was insane.  once i stopped, things got much better.   

• Options

imageanabell0920:
    Is he nursing, pulling off then looking around, at you, playing? If so that's totally normal at this age and it is now a regular thing for DS. I am sorry things are so tough right now and you are doing an awesome job!

he does get distracted, but that's been going on for a few weeks. i can tell in the past day or so that  he's hungry still when normally he's content.  i usually track the time that he feeds and there's no way to really even do that right now b/c he's on and off a thousand times a day (ok, i'm exaggerating...a little)

• Options
    Hang in there friend! Remember some breastmilk is better than no breastmilk.  Have you taken any herbs like fenugreek or the more milk plus? That really worked for me! I go back to school next week, I fear my supply will take a hit then! Thinking of you!
  • Options

imageguppysown@yahoo.com:
    Hang in there friend! Remember some breastmilk is better than no breastmilk.  Have you taken any herbs like fenugreek or the more milk plus? That really worked for me! I go back to school next week, I fear my supply will take a hit then! Thinking of you!

thanks, gup!  fenugreek didn't do anything, but i suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it again. i haven't tried more milk plus.  i'll look into that, i've been thinking about it.

• Options

I have low supply too and that's happened to me several times. Right when you think you're nearing the end of your troubles something happens!

I bet it's a growth spurt. Maybe try pumping more to tell your body he needs more!

AF... ugh. That sux.

I now how you feel. It's hard work dealing with these issues and it can be very heartbreaking. I hope everything turns out well!

EDIT: I just read that you don't respond to the pump. Well, you probably already know this but nurse, nurse, nurse. I have a low supply and even letting him comfort nurse and nurse to sleep has helped.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"