Babies: 6 - 9 Months

What is wrong with babies waking up early?

Genuine question, no snark intended.

I see lots of posts (mostly on 3-6 but was surprised to see some here too) about people putting baby to bed later so they'll sleep later.  Several of my parenting books say that a normal wake time for babies is 6-7 am and as early as 5 am can be normal.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sleep! But DS sleeps 6-6 (sometimes 6-7) and if he is up past 6:30 max, he is a nightmare. 

Re: What is wrong with babies waking up early?

• I'm sure you know the answer to this question already. Some people don't like to get up at 6am.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If we put Simon down at 6 I would literally NEVER see him during the week. :( He sleeps until around 6 am and I've adjusted my sleep habits accordingly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH and I prefer to sleep in, of course, however our LO has other ideas.  His clock goes off at 5am and nothing we do (more sleep or little sleep) gets him to sleep later.  We've just adjusted our schedule as best as we can... so bed between 6-7pm and up at 5. :)
  • DS sleeps 6-6.  It is in his biological nature (yes, I know we can change it if we really wanted) to wake up around 6/6:30am...he needs 12 hours of sleep so obviously he has to go down by 6/6:30.  It's hard as we could be seeing him for longer amounts of time, but I know how precious his sleep is and how happy he is.  It's hard to argue with that.  To each their own...I like our schedule. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 1st m/c July 2008, 2nd m/c December 2008, Baby boy born in 2009!, 3rd m/c (c/p) June 2011, 4th m/c September 2011
  • I have yet to establish a routine so DS falls asleep when I do (around 11pm) and wakes up when I do (around 10am). I'm a SAHM and prego so it works out for the both of us.

• Because I'm a psychopath before 7am. 

I would much rather DD do an 8pm-8am, but she's pretty set on her 7-7 schedule. She had a horrible few weeks of getting up at 5:30. Thank God DH is off for the summer and a morning person.

I'm cool with the middle of the night stuff, but I am a bear in the mornings.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wish I could train DS to sleep in on the weekends so I can too! My guy sleeps 8 - 6 and wakes up for a couple hours before going down for his first nap.
  • I guess I never understand why people are frustrated that their baby gets up early-  we get up at 6 or 6:30 for work so our babies do, too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have any issues or qualms with 6 or 7am...I do however have them with 3 and 4am.
  • I wish my baby sttn. lol. He still wakes up to eat at least one time. The other night though he slept from 530 to 530 and i loved it. I dont mind early as long as I slept more than 5 hours...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I LOVE when DD wakes up early. I leave for work at 7:15, so when she's up at 6 we have a good hour & 15 mins together.

She's generally down at 8 or 8:30 and up at 6 or 6:30. Oh, and up at 3 and 5'; I'm still waiting to STTN!

• Both my LO's wake between 6:3-7:00, the baby goes down between 7:00-7:30, and my older around 8:30-9. I have no issues with waking early..it sort of comes with the territory.

My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • I have NO problems with 6, but 5am to me is still night - so I just treat it like that, and if my baby wants to eat, I'll feed her in the dark with no interaction and luckily she'll go back to sleep for at least another hour.  I would just love a consistent wake up time... lately it's been all over the board which is hard when I want to get up before her to get ready for work!
  • DD pretty much set her own schedule. She sleeps from about 8:30-7:30. On the rare occasion that she sleeps longer, I still wake up at 7:30 anyway. I like to get a head start on the day whenever I can (I'm a SAHM).
  • I don't like to get up early.  Neither does my baby.  Maybe we've trained her that way?

Allie has always slept 9-8, which is awesome, because any earlier than that and I'm not functional.  I'm a night owl, always have been, I hate mornings.  In fact, I work 9-6 and thank god every day that my boss really doesn't care when I come in as long as I work enough.

• imageShannonlea:
    I guess I never understand why people are frustrated that their baby gets up early-  we get up at 6 or 6:30 for work so our babies do, too.

Huh, interesting. I guess I just never understand how people can get up at 6am every day and still feel like human beings. I mean, I get up at about 7 and I know that I would not be happy to get up earlier on a consistent basis. Since everyone else is clearly exactly like me, it just blows my mind that anyone could ever do anything differently. Really, I just don't understand. It is completely beyond my capabilities of understanding. Not snarky at all. Genuine, undadulterated inability of understandment. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageRach03k:

imageShannonlea:
    I guess I never understand why people are frustrated that their baby gets up early-  we get up at 6 or 6:30 for work so our babies do, too.

Huh, interesting. I guess I just never understand how people can get up at 6am every day and still feel like human beings. I mean, I get up at about 7 and I know that I would not be happy to get up earlier on a consistent basis. Since everyone else is clearly exactly like me, it just blows my mind that anyone could ever do anything differently. Really, I just don't understand. It is completely beyond my capabilities of understanding. Not snarky at all. Genuine, undadulterated inability of understandment. 

LMBO

Long time no see Rach...the boys are adorable!!

• Because DD normally sleeps til 8, I've adjusted. When she throws in a random 6:15, it means I'm missing out on 2 hours that I normally get to sleep.
  • imageShannonlea:
    I don't get up at six for work. Neither does DH. I can't believe we're so ignorant with our frustration of her waking up at that time. Surprise
  • imageMrsRebecca:

Genuine question, no snark intended.

I see lots of posts (mostly on 3-6 but was surprised to see some here too) about people putting baby to bed later so they'll sleep later.  Several of my parenting books say that a normal wake time for babies is 6-7 am and as early as 5 am can be normal.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sleep! But DS sleeps 6-6 (sometimes 6-7) and if he is up past 6:30 max, he is a nightmare. 

I have to admit I like my sleep but I go to bed really late. I don't think there is anything wrong with DD getting up early at all, the problem lies with me lol. DD is a normal healthy baby that is a great sleeper and STTN so I don't complain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"