Eating every hour, even when it is not a growth spurt? — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Eating every hour, even when it is not a growth spurt?

My baby is a 7 weeks 2 days old and has a HUGE appetite!  He has gained weight well and has tons of diapers filled with pee and poo!  I know that I am making plenty of milk as I have pumped 6 ounces from each breast when I do pump.

The Dr. and lactation consultant said that he should be going every 2-3 hours between feedings, but I simply feed him when he is hungry.  Maybe he is comfort sucking sometimes, I just wanted to make sure that this frequent feeding can happen at any time and not just during the specified growth spurt times (he definitely had a growth spurt at both 5 and 6 weeks where he ate CONSTANTLY).

Re: Eating every hour, even when it is not a growth spurt?

• Since birth my LO has always eaten very often - probably every hour. He "eat - eats" around every 2 hours (nurses and I have to supplement a bit) and nurses to sleep (comfort) and nurses when he wakes. He's perfectly healthy and everything! Must have a fast metabolism!

• My DD is 6 1/2 months old now and I nurse her on demand.  Some nights she goes 3 hours inbetween feedings but some nights she'll want to eat 1 1/2 to 2 hours later.
  • My DD is a grazer.  The LC I talked to said there's nothing wrong with a baby who wants to eat every hour or so.  She just really likes my boobs and really likes being close to mommy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards