Eco-Friendly Family

I am awful at socializing

I went to a friends baby shower. I've known her since high school and we've recently reconnected in the past couple years. The shower was lovely. But being there makes me realize still how lonely I feel. A huge group of people and inside I felt lonely with a stupid grin on my face. There's no point to this post other than to 'verbalize' something I've felt for years.

Re: I am awful at socializing

• (((hugs)))  I can 100% relate to this post.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageDobie_Mama:
    (((hugs)))  I can 100% relate to this post.

me too. i wish we all lived near each other.  

• Loading the player...
  • ditto all that.

we had company over once.  they'd been there like 30-45 mins before my DH came home.  when he walked in he immediately said "would you like something to drink".  ugh! bad hostess!!!  it didn't even dawn on me to offer them a drink.  I guess b/c most people who come over are very comfortable with us and just go help themselves.  but it just shows how inept i am at socialization...

• I feel like I could've written this post.  It sucks because DH is naturally social, so whenever we go out I just paste a smile on my face and hope someone talks to me, while at the same time just hoping they will go away because I feel so uncomfortable.  I've known several of his friends wives/GFs for years and I still don't feel at ease with them.

After a little liquid courage I'm usually the life of the party though....

• I can totally relate. ((hugs)) I was at my little cousin's birthday party surrounded by family members and I just sat there feeling like an outsider.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can so relate, I'm getting a little better , I joined a bible study and made a few new friends, but it's still so hard to put myself out there ;(.
  • I feel the same way... especially in groups of mostly new people.  I was FINALLY comfortable with our group of friends in GA and we moved....
  • I think I'm a total weirdo.  I have no problem chatting it up at social events most of the time but I have such a hard time "taking it to the next level."  So, I don't have very many close friends or people that I call.  I wish I could get lessons on making friends. 
  • imageAlibean:
    I think I'm a total weirdo.  I have no problem chatting it up at social events most of the time but I have such a hard time "taking it to the next level."  So, I don't have very many close friends or people that I call.  I wish I could get lessons on making friends. 

Me too. I have total anxiety going anywhere with new people but once I am there I can chat to anyone (while on the inside freaking out, maybe its a defense mechanism?), yet I never manage to take it beyond chit chat. Even if the other person contacts me or seems totally interested, I shy away and lose it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"