March 2011 Moms

Ladies with LOs

What kind of stroller do you have? People always talk about the ones where the car seat snaps into the stroller, but that seems so bulky that it would be a PITA to load and unload all the time.

I'm thinking of getting a smaller stroller and a separate car seat. WDYT?

Re: Ladies with LOs

• I have this one.

The stroller is a bit bulky but it folds super easily (with one hand) and it's not extremely heavy.  The stroller also turns really nicely. Plus, I am still using the car seat and DS is almost 14 months old! It's a Graco 32 which means that it lasts until he is 32 inches or 32 lbs and since he is only 29 inches and 24 lbs I have a long way to go until he out grows it (at least another 3 months). It was a great deal.

I am getting to the point now where it would be nice to have this stroller plus an nice umbrella stroller. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just got a Snap N Go for the early months (up until around 6 months when DS switched to a convertible car seat, he was a huge baby).  It's super lightweight, folds down to nothing (we had a Honda Civic and could fit it in the trunk with luggage and baby stuff).  We also flew with DS a couple times and it was easy to travel with.  It was good for me b/c I had a c/s and getting anything bulkier out of our trunk would have been tough b/c that was hard enough for me in the beginning. 

I also have BOB Revolution that you can snap the carseat into and you can use it with one hand and it's great for long walks, festivals, jogging.  We have an Uppa G-lite for traveling now (umbrella stroller) or quick trips to the mall. 

Have you seen the book Baby Bargains?  It's definitel a must have book and will give you the run down on what's a better buy and what's usually a waste.  As a nanny I didn't really like the bulky travel systems, so I already knew I wasn't going that route. 

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm... several of the reviews say the carseat is heavy... I'm only 105-ish pounds and have a small frame, so that concerns me.

Also, I have a Honda Civic... tiny car for what the reviews call a "bulky" stroller. One person said it takes up the whole trunk of her Jetta, which is similar in size to my car.

Why does buying all of this stuff have to be so hard?

• Then I would definitely get something like the Snap N Go if you have a Civic.  In the beginning the baby stuff is so bulky and I found that we traveled with much more gear than we do with a 20 mo. old.  Even the BOB fit in the trunk of our Civic, but didn't leave room for much else.  Now it doesn't matter that we use the BOB and it takes up space b/c DS doesn't require much like he did when he was little.  I swear the smaller the baby, the bigger the gear!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the graco snugride carseat with the metrolite stroller.  I'm also the same size as you and didnt have any problems carrying the car seat or packing/unfolding the stroller.  It is a bit bulky though.  Also don't worry about getting an infant carseat that has an extended weight limit. An average 1 year old weighs about 20 lbs and you'll likely switch to a convertible a few months before that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't have any other children but I'm a nanny and have found that I will definitely get a Snap and Go and then go with the City Mini. They're both small and easy to open. Also, try the Nurseries and Baby Gear board. They have lots of suggestions!
    Baby, you've got the sort of eyes that tell me tales...
    :Blog:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The first one we got was a Graco Quattro Tour Sport travel system (where the carseat snaps into the stroller).  I actually highly recommend a travel system for the first months of life when they fit into an infant car seat.  It's really convenient to just take the carseat out of the car when the baby is sleeping and snap it right into the stroller without having to wake up your baby. 

The next stroller we got was a Chicco Liteway once DS grew out of his infant carseat.  It's obviously much less bulky than the travel system stroller since it's an umbrella stroller.  I really like it. 

Oh, P.S.  The travel system stroller did NOT fit into my trunk (an '08 Chevy Malibu).  We could only take it with DH's Jeep (I just wore him otherwise).  I'm getting a new car next spring so it won't be an issue then but something to think about.  I can see a snap 'n' go stroller being just as great as a travel system, if not better for the space issue.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • I had the Graco one that allows the car carrier to attatch to it.  It was HUGE and bulky.  WHen dd was a little older and out of the carrier I switched to the Peg Perego like this https://us.pegperego.com/babyproducts-catalog/2010/Uno

I wish I had just got the second stroller in the first place.  It is smaller and you can still attatch a carrier to it if you need.  However if you decide to leave the carrier in the car you can still strap your little one in with the 5 pt harness and it reclines!  I really liked it and will use it from the beginning with this LO

Good luck

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I had a snap and go when ds was little.  It's a very small frame that the carseat snaps into.  It costs around $50.  Now I use a macclaren.  It's a fancier umbrella type stroller that is very light weight.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a couple.

a graco Snap and Go that you just put the infant seat into from the car.  We don't use it much now, but did when DS was small

a chico umbrella stroller which is good now when we just want to take a quick trip to a mall or somewhere indoors.  Doesn't do as well on rough terrain.

And my personal favorite our BOB revolution!  It is expensive, but a really great jogging stroller!  I love to use it to take walks (and the very occasional run)

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thanks for the input- and yes, I've already ordered Baby Bargains on Amazon. Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"