Eco-Friendly Family

Question on CDing Problem

I read a previous post on another board where the mom was finding small pieces of poo in the washer after she did a load of laundry.  LO's poo wasn't ploppapble yet and she said she did scrape and spray them but she was still having this issue.  She also said she had an older model washing machine.

I am not going to further mention her post but the problem got me thinking.  Could this problem be avoided by having a newer washing machine or would that make it worse?  I have an HE front-loader and it doesn't use much water but so far with regular clothes is great, even on mud.  Can you soak diapers in a pail (closed of course for safety) for some amount of time before you put them in the washing machine, and would that help?  Sorry for taking the long route to get to my two questions but I didn't know a better way to do it.  Thanks for any input.  Oh and FWIW I am pg with #1 so I have no experience yet if I sound like a complete idiot, LOL.

Re: Question on CDing Problem

• We don't have a new or an HE machine, but we stayed with my sister who does for about a week. I had to play with her settings to override the water level sensor to wash my diapers. The first wash I did at her house (without changing the settings), it based the water level on the size of the load and they didn't get clean enough. Once I set it to use the highest setting for water, and they came out fine. So I would keep that in mind. 

With breastfed newborns, the poop is water soluble so you don't need to do anything. Toss it in the pail then in the wash when you're ready, and no worries. :) Once DD started solids we started using rice paper liners in her diapers so that we can just shake the poop & liner into the toilet, no scraping needed. We do have a diaper sprayer installed in case some poop misses the liner, but that has only happened a couple times. We have had no issues with our top-loader washing machine getting the diapers clean and have never found any remnants of anything left behind (on the dipes or in the machine). Well, I take that back. I did find a snap that had popped off once. But that doesn't count. Wink 

• imageMrsBeckO:

We don't have a new or an HE machine, but we stayed with my sister who does for about a week. I had to play with her settings to override the water level sensor to wash my diapers. The first wash I did at her house (without changing the settings), it based the water level on the size of the load and they didn't get clean enough. Once I set it to use the highest setting for water, and they came out fine. So I would keep that in mind. 

With breastfed newborns, the poop is water soluble so you don't need to do anything. Toss it in the pail then in the wash when you're ready, and no worries. :) Once DD started solids we started using rice paper liners in her diapers so that we can just shake the poop & liner into the toilet, no scraping needed. We do have a diaper sprayer installed in case some poop misses the liner, but that has only happened a couple times. We have had no issues with our top-loader washing machine getting the diapers clean and have never found any remnants of anything left behind (on the dipes or in the machine). Well, I take that back. I did find a snap that had popped off once. But that doesn't count. Wink 

Ooh thanks for that.  It's one of those things you can learn from experience, but I'd much rather learn from yours! Wink I have a diaper sprayer installed in the one bathroom where the changing table will be and so far it works great for cleaning the toilet haha.  I hadn't hear of rice paper liners (keep using rice people, help us rice farmers out!!! LOL) so I'll look into that too!  Thanks for all the advice!
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to have an old machine and never had any problems with it.  The most we ever found in it was the outer skin of peas and corn... and that was back when DH didn't know he was supposed to scrape the poo off.  So... really... I'm surprised I didn't find MUCH more than that in there. 

We have a new HE front loader now and haven't had problems with it either.  it did take a while for me to get a new "system" worked out for washing but it works now.  I was doing: [rinse/spin cycle, then hot wash with detergent/cold rinse cycle then another rinse/spin cycle (all with the "extra water" feature)], but diapers weren't getting clean enough, so I changed to [cold wash with detergent/cold rinse cycle, hot wash with detergent/cold rinse cycle, rinse/spin cycle (all with extra water)].  THEN we realized the detergent wasn't rinsing out well enough, so instead of the rinse/spin at the end, we do a full cold wash/cold rinse cycle without detergent.  All that and I think I'm still using less water and power than I did for my old machine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a front loader and have not had any problems with "floaters".  I do have a diaper sprayer, but didn't always.  I don't always use it now if I don't have to.  I haven't messed with any settings to make my water level higher in the washer as pp's have mentioned.  I haven't had issues either with them not being clean.  I do a pre-wash (it's a setting on mine) that is cold/cold.  Then I add the detergent and do a heavy load cycle hot/cold with an extra rinse.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"