January 2011 Moms
Options

black dress=funeral?

so im online shopping for a homecoming dress (my husbands homecoming from iraq, im not in HS lol) and found this really cute dress on anne taylor loft. and id be able to wear it for both my baby showers etc.

but id probably wear it with black shoes for homecoming because im not going out and buying another pair of shoes... would i look too funeralish? if i add a few cute bangles would it look less harsh? its such a happy occasion, i dont want to be like "oh hey im wearing all black, yeah its summer, but clearly I don't care, i like the funeral look"

when id wear it for my baby shower id probably pair it with a beige cardigan and id probably wear these really cute leopard flats i have so thats not something im worried about...

so yeah silly question but if im gonna spend like 90 bucks on a dress id better be sure! 

Re: black dress=funeral?

• Options
    As long as you're comfortable go for it! Could you add some colorful/chunky jewelry to it? Even just one necklace can change the whole look.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Little black dresses are appropriate for all occasions (including weddings IMO).  If you think its too black, pair it with some bright shoes or a purse.  Maybe some colorful jewelry.  
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW, I wear a ton of black, and that dress would be appropriate for lots of occasions.  I agree with others about adding colorful jewelry.  Sounds exciting!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My favorite accessory to pull an outfit together with a pop of color or to make the fit look better is a sash (for lack of a better term) under the breasts to give it an empire look.  I have a black belt sorta stretchy thing that came on one dress but I use it on many outfits.  I also have a gold piece of fabric that has a ribbon coming off of each corner.  I just tie it together behind me and it always dresses something up enough.  Anyway, that's just what's worked for me.  I wear a lot of black outfits and black shoes and no one has ever accused me of looking like I was going to a funeral.  HTH.

Also, if I haven't said it to you before thank you to your husband for his service to our country, and thank you also!  Being a military wife is a hard job but I know it helps your man do his job better by having your support.  Thank you.

• Options
    I wore a black dress to a wedding a few weeks ago, I wore a colorful barrette, it's one of those that is reminiscent of the little hair pieces from the 30s.  I got a lot of compiments on teh look and didn't feel too funeral-ish even with the black shoes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    okay ordered the dress... and got 15 off. and solved the black shoe dilemma for free... its fun being pregnant and forgetting about shoes you have.
  • Options

imageizzourclue:
    Little black dresses are appropriate for all occasions (including weddings IMO).  If you think its too black, pair it with some bright shoes or a purse.  Maybe some colorful jewelry.  

This...black is classic. Just because people choose to wear it to a funeral does not mean it is funeral attire! Enjoy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've never worn black to a funeral... so... there's my opinion. I think a black dress is a necessity in your wardrobe, and I like the pp's idea about a cute colored belt or sash :)
  • Options

First of all, how exciting that your husband is returning home soon! That is wonderful news!

Secondly, go for it with the black dress! Celebrate!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you love the dress, totally go for it!  I'd just try to add some bright, colorful accessories - something colorful in your hair and/or bright/fun jewelry.

I'm 9000% sure your face when your husband comes home will brighten up the look a ton :)

Plus - black is supposed to be slimming.  I'd go for it :)

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"