Parenting

How to handle Jealous cousin

My son is crazy jealous of my 1 1/2 year old neice. He has 5 cousins so I don't know why he focuses on her. And she is drawn to him like a magnet. He pushes her down, takes toys from her hands and tells her to go away all the time. Every time she walks over to him he points to me and says "That's my mommy!" We have tried telling him "You don't have to like her but you have to be nice to her." And of course "No, we don't hit, give that toy back!" etc. What else can we do? How would you handle this?

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com

Re: How to handle Jealous cousin

• This is a tough one. I've had experiences like this with other kids, but not relatives. I think you're just going to have to continue to encourage nice play and explain that she is little. Maybe he senses that she requires more care and attention than he does? 
  • It's probably just a phase and you just have to stay the course, but I probably wouldn't say "You don't have to like her but you have to be nice to her."  I get where you are coming from, but it seems to some how reinforce the "not liking" her part.  I would say something like, "She's little and she's just learning.  She wants to be near you because she thinks your cool!" Or because "you're a big kid!". Or whatever would be meaningful to him...
  • Loading the player...
  • Gracie was a little bit like that with her baby cousins.  We heard a lot of "You're MY mommy!" when we were with them last.  So I spent a lot of time reassuring Gracie but also didn't let her get away with being rude. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"