January 2011 Moms
Options

exposed to hand foot & mouth disease :(

My sister called my yesterday and told me that she has been diagnosed with Hand Foot & Mouth. She has no idea how she could have gotten it since it's most common in young kids or people who are around them all the time (daycare teacher, etc). 

DD and I have been with her 3 days this past week, and we all shared the same bagel on Thursday. She only has the blisters in her mouth, so since we shared food with her, we have definitely been exposed.  We are leaving tomorrow to go camping for a week, so this is the last thing I feel like worrying about.  Google tells me that it is not really a big deal for pg women, although some studies say there is a 'very slight risk of miscarriage" if a pg women gets it.  Well, with my history, any risk of m/c is enough to freak me out, so I'm just hoping and praying that neither DD and I will come down with it.

Think healthy thoughts for us!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: exposed to hand foot & mouth disease :(

• Options
    : ( It's def. no fun but try not to worry. DD had it a few weeks ago, she had a fever, was super tired and got the rash everywhere except her mouth. I called my OB and he said it really wasn't anything to worry about. He said if I was farther along (like close to delivery) it could maybe be a problem but the risks now are little to none. 
    Hang in there!
  • Options
    Oh goodness, I'm sorry, that is scary.  I hope everything is okay!
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you have to worry about it.  I just looked it up on the cdc website and it doesn't sound like much fun.  The fact of the matter is, you probably have already been exposed since you have a child and it looks like that creates immunity.  Kind of wacky that your sister got it.  I'm glad I know about it.  If I got blisters in my mouth I would automatically jump to herpes!  I also read you can get the blisters on your genitals and that would really freak me out.  Good to know its not always herpes.  In case you haven't figured it out, I have an irrational fear of herpes and assume everyone has it and I can contract it by casual contact.  I know that's not the case, but still, freaks me out.  
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    DD had it last week and she had a super mild case, but it really isn't anything to worry about being PG. My OB wasn't concerned at all and just said you clearly have it and are about to deliver you could pass it to the new baby literally through the birth, but otherwise it's just a little virus with a big ugly name.
  • Options
    My DS had it last week tooo and it was also very mild.  I didn't catch it from him, so most likley we have an immunity to it from being exposed to it some other time in our lives.  Don't stress it too much.  I was worried too, but everything I read pretty much said that it wasn't that big of a threat to a fetus. 
    married 7/24/04 BFP on 4/22/07! Ryan Michael born on 1/3/08 7lbs.7oz. BFP on 5/4/10!!! Caitlin Grace born on 1/7/11 7lbs. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"