Parenting
Options

WWYD

Not sure there's anyone here this morning to give me any advice but I'll give it a shot anyway.

DS has been taking a gym class for about 18 months.  Up until about 4 weeks ago it was a parent/child class.  Then he was old enough to move into the child only class.  The first week we transitioned to the big kid class was a little tough but I went in with him and with the help of the instructor, although somewhat reluctant, he did okay when I left the room.

The following two weeks he did awesome; waved bye to me at the door, ran right in, participated, listened to the instructor, had a blast.  I was so proud of him. He was loving it.

The following week he was sick so we didn't go.  Last week he ran right in and was fine and having fun for the first 15 minutes or so, then ran over to the window crying and said he didn't want to go back in.  I couldn't go in with him because I had DD with me.  I tried to talk to him about what was wrong and encourage him to go back in but he wanted no part of it.  Nothing specific happened to upset him that I saw (and I was watching the whole thing through the window.)

This week he is already saying he does not want to go.  I don't want to force him to do something he does not enjoy, but for those two weeks he had such a good time.  I just can't understand what changed.  If he had never adjusted to the child only class I would have said okay, he's not ready and left it at that.  But for those two weeks he did so great and was so happy being there. I'm baffled.  

DH is working today, so if we go, unfortunately I'll have DD with me so it won't be as easy to help him try to adjust.  WWYD.  Go?  Don't go?  Withdraw from the class completely? Thoughts?

Susie, mom to DS 4/10/07 and DD 3/6/09 (MC 9/05, 2/06) Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD

• Options
    Take him. Bribe him.

• Options
    I mostly lurk but here's my opinion. I used to teach dance to two and three year olds (older kids too) and the kids whose parents were looking in the windows the whole time would usually be the ones who would freak out. I would suggest finding a place where you can see him but he can't see you and see if that helps (almost out of sight, out of mind). It may take a few classes but it always worked for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unless they have the mirrored windows I would not be watching him.  He already knows you come back after class if over.  I would take him again and he might resist for a couple of weeks and then it will work out (it did for us).  It wasn't dance class, but preschool with my oldest DD.  After the first few days when she went in without a hitch she was all of a sudden clinging to my leg saying she didn't want to go, etc.  I made her go and after a couple of days she was fine again.  I wondered if the "newness" wore off or if she was just "testing me".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"