Working Moms

mat. leave length

how long did you ladies take off? I'm looking at a possibly very short mat. leave because I work in education... my DH would actually be with her after just 2.5 weeks of me until 6-8 weeks. is this doable, is it sane?

Re: mat. leave length

• I would never have been ready to go back to work after 2.5 weeks (I'm a teacher). I honestly don't think you will get released to go back that early. I have a friend that returned after 6 weeks, she was miserable.
  • I took 6 months off, one month was before DS was born. Going back was so hard. Emotionally I wouldn't have been able to go back after 6 weeks. I was still a hormonal mess crying at anything and everything, not to mention sleep was still horrible. After 2.5 weeks I was still physically sore and had to sit on a donut pillow.
  • Loading the player...
  • There's no way I would have gone back after 2.5 weeks. My DD was still in the NICU then... and I was super sore still. I'm taking 15 weeks off, and I'm still not really "ready" to go back. I'm enjoying the much needed time off too much!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageALG29:
    I took 6 months off, one month was before DS was born. Going back was so hard. Emotionally I wouldn't have been able to go back after 6 weeks. I was still a hormonal mess crying at anything and everything, not to mention sleep was still horrible. After 2.5 weeks I was still physically sore and had to sit on a donut pillow.

This is exactly what I did and exactly how I felt.  For me going back at 5 months pp was perfect.  I don't think it is physically responsible to go back at 2.5 weeks your body is still healing... 

• Why only 2.5 weeks?  Is that all the leave they'll let you take, or all the leave you currently have built up?

I'd try to stay home a minimum of six weeks if you can swing it.  Can you take unpaid leave?  Your OB should be able to write a note saying you need 6 weeks for vaginal birth, 8 weeks for a c section.

I was home ten weeks with DD #1, 12 weeks with DD #2 and unfortunately will only be home 8 weeks with kid #3 as this time we can't afford for me to take any unpaid leave (I'm a Fed so there is no paid maternity leave).  I'm boo-hooing about only taking 8 weeks.  For me, with both my kids, it took at least six weeks for me to feel vaguely human - physically and emotionally.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • I'm *hopefully* starting in a new county and can't miss the orientation and first parts of school as it would be a whole new position for me.  If I get the job (find out this week), I have a job and an income again.  Otherwise, come Aug 15 I'm out of work for this school year and not eligible for unemployment (long story).  Baby is due tomorrow, and position goes back Aug 25.  I'm assuming baby is running late since I'm not really laboring just yet... It's one of those impossible situations and I'm really struggling with it.
  • That is tough!!  I know what you mean about missing the beginning of school year - I'm a former teacher.  And missing the orientation etc. at a new postion, that would be difficult.

I will tell you that I worked for a short time in a daycare center when I was a kid, and I remember a woman bringing two week old twins in (back when daycares took kids really young) and I remember her saying she had absolutely no choice.  She was an hourly worker, and no work meant no pay, and it gave me a whole new respect for folks who don't have a choice of a long maternity leave. 

The plus here is that your DH will be able to be with baby for several weeks after you go back, that is a huge blessing.  So you don't have to worry about dropping off a two-week-old off at daycare.  That is really good.

I'm sure the school will have enough other teachers and administrators who are also moms and will be very sympathetic to your limitations those first few weeks.  Just take it easy on yourself, and accept others' help when they offer it.  I know if someone came back to my office two weeks after giving birth I'd be waiting on them hand and foot to try to help them out.

Good luck and hang in there!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • 12 weeks, with both kids. I couldn't do less than 8. Good luck to you!
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I was supposed to go back at 7 weeks....at 6 I called and extended.  I ended up being out 11 weeks and was JUST ready to be back at that point.  At 2.5 weeks I was still a hysterical hormonal mess and never would have trusted anyone alone with my baby!  But if you have no choice you have no choice.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I was off 4 months.  I start back tomorrow :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a teacher also so I get what you're saying. When we TTC we always take a break in the fall so as not to end up having summer babies. In fact when discussing TTC #2 my husband asked if we gave birth in the summer would I get leave time at the beginning of the next school year. I told him I didn't care if I got it, I wouldn't take it. 

Anyway, I took my full 15 weeks (12 weeks at half pay, plus 8 sick days plus spring break happened during that time). I then only had to work 6 weeks before summer break and have LOVED having the summer home with my boy. That said, I did take the baby to visit my students 2 weeks postpartum and felt fine. I had a really easy delivery/recovery and was myself again about a week later. I don't think I could have taught full time at that point because I was still tired (newborns don't know night from day right away). Teaching in September is also especially exhausting, and a new position doubly so. I'm wondering if you can set up a situation where you job share or something for a few weeks. That way you're still involved in setting up the classroom etc but it's not all on you. I know it's a long shot since it's a new position but it's worth asking.

Also, if you do this MAKE SURE your husband understands how much you're taking on. Have him agree to do all the cleaning etc. Even having him make your lunch for school would make a difference. Anything he can do to help will make this easier on you. Good luck and keep us posted. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, that is such a tough situation.  I'm so sorry.  I went back after 8 weeks with DS and didn't feel like that was enough.  This time, I plan to take 12.  I used to be a supervisor and one of my employees had to come back after 4 weeks and it broke my heart for her but that was just the financial situation they were in at the time.  It was her 4th child, so she was a little more prepared but still- that's hard.  Keep in mind that if you end up having to have a c/s, I doubt any dr would let you go back to work at 2.5 weeks.  I think I had just gotten my driving priveleges back at that point and honestly, I was still really hurting.  Good luck.  That is a tough call.

• i was still in a lot of pain at 8 weeks PP after having Griffin (bad 4th degree tear).  I can't imagine going back to work that early.

I took 18 weeks with Griffin and 20 weeks with the twins (got 2 extra weeks b/c of it being a c/s).  We saved money to be able to afford taking all of the time avail (12 weeks of it unpaid)... b/c we both felt it was most important for me to be home with them as long as possible.  Life was tough without a paycheck that long- but worth it.

i would take every day you are allowed - if unpaid, figure a way to make it work.

• i was still in a lot of pain at 8 weeks PP after having Griffin (bad 4th degree tear).  I can't imagine going back to work that early.

I took 18 weeks with Griffin and 20 weeks with the twins (got 2 extra weeks b/c of it being a c/s).  We saved money to be able to afford taking all of the time avail (12 weeks of it unpaid)... b/c we both felt it was most important for me to be home with them as long as possible.  Life was tough without a paycheck that long- but worth it.

i would take every day you are allowed - if unpaid, figure a way to make it work.

• Sorry I can't help, other than saying that I couldn't have taken off less than 6 weeks, but by 10 I was counting down the days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"