Breastfeeding

LO has self weaned at 7.5 months...WWYD?

My sweet girl has slowly been self weaning from nursing for the past few months.  It went from only nursing when alone with me, to only at bedtime and during the night, to now.......nothing.  I'm really sad about her not wanting to nurse anymore, but now my question is what to do?  

Should I keep pumping and give her BM in her sippy cup (she won't take a bottle, but has been drinking out of her cup since 4 months) or just see if she'll transition to formula (she's never even had a drop).

I mean the pumping sucks but I'm used to it and think if I pump 3x a day I might have enough (I can get about 21 oz that way)  

I don't know why I feel like quitting (pumping) would be like giving up or something.  I just wanted to hear from any mommas who have been through this or those that EP, why do you do it?  Why is BM better? Does it even make a difference when she's 7.5 months? I'm just so torn about this.  I'd appreciate any thoughts.  TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: LO has self weaned at 7.5 months...WWYD?

• Here is some info from kelly mom and hopefully it helps. Everything I've ever read and heard says that babis don't ever naturally wean before at least a year. She is just striking.

Nursing Strikes

When babies abruptly stop nursing, it's a nursing strike - not weaning. Babies rarely wean on their own before 18-24 months, and self-weaning is almost never abrupt.

Will baby nurse while asleep or just waking up? This is usually one of the best times to try. You also might try nursing lying down or while walking around. See also the tips at the top of this page for persuading baby to nurse.

As long as baby is not nursing as often as before, you'll want to express milk to maintain your supply, stay comfortable, and reduce the risk of plugged ducts and mastitis.

Don't miss the great links below about nursing strikes.

sorry links don't work I just copied and pasted. The text should give you some ideas and then you can go to kellymom.com or https://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec92p173.html

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • I was in the exact same situation as you.  Over a month DS slowly started nursing less and less until he finally quit all together.

I have been EPing since he was 8 months.  I pump 4 times a day and will be cutting back to 3 times soon.  Your DD needs more than 21oz of milk (24oz minimum) so you should probably pump more than 3 times a day for now.  

If I were you I'd EP.  I feel like the benefits of BM throughout the first year outweighs the suckiness of pumping.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree that it sounds like a strike. Do you have oversupply? That's a classic cause of strikes. But, yes, I do think it's definitely worthwhile to pump for her.
  • imageKnitty:
    I agree that it sounds like a strike. Do you have oversupply? That's a classic cause of strikes. But, yes, I do think it's definitely worthwhile to pump for her.

She said she's been doing it for the last few months.  If I remember correctly, a strike is typically a sudden thing and weaning is gradual. 

• She's just never been a big eater.  It has always been a struggle to feed her. But she refused a bottle too around 3 mo. so that's why we tried the sippy cup and she does pretty well with that now.  

Starting at about 5-6 mo. she refused to nurse in public or around anyone.  The at 7 mo she stopped daytime feeds. and now she doesn't want to nurse at night either.  So yes, it was very gradual.

I don't have an over supply.  I did for a while when she was about 4 mo. but we nursed on the same side twice in a row and it worked itself out.

I am worried that she won't drink enough now.  She always been small for her age tho (13th per. at her 6 mo. check up).  Yesterday she only drank 16 oz. total.  But she also eats 3 solid meals a day (about 6 - 8 oz total).

I keep offering her the boob at bedtime and in the morning, but she won't take it. Won't even get close enough to latch on.

Thanks for the thoughts ladies.  I do think I'll try to continue with the pumping for now and see how it goes.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That does sound exactly like a worsening strike. They can go on for months. I've BTDT, but mine would take nothing at all in any other way, so I had to persist with nursing. I had the most success getting her to nurse when she was mostly asleep. But, from my experience I doubt that with an alternative source of milk you could get her back to the breast. I know mine would have preferred to starve than nurse.
  • imageChristmasbaby18:

She's just never been a big eater.  It has always been a struggle to feed her. But she refused a bottle too around 3 mo. so that's why we tried the sippy cup and she does pretty well with that now.  

Starting at about 5-6 mo. she refused to nurse in public or around anyone.  The at 7 mo she stopped daytime feeds. and now she doesn't want to nurse at night either.  So yes, it was very gradual.

I don't have an over supply.  I did for a while when she was about 4 mo. but we nursed on the same side twice in a row and it worked itself out.

I am worried that she won't drink enough now.  She always been small for her age tho (13th per. at her 6 mo. check up).  Yesterday she only drank 16 oz. total.  But she also eats 3 solid meals a day (about 6 - 8 oz total).

I keep offering her the boob at bedtime and in the morning, but she won't take it. Won't even get close enough to latch on.

Thanks for the thoughts ladies.  I do think I'll try to continue with the pumping for now and see how it goes.   

If she is getting 3 meals a day use that to your advantage.  Get her milk in through rice cereal or oatmeal.  I would make it pretty thin and between 3 meals was able to get 6-10 more oz in him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"