Baby Showers

Getting gifts before the shower invites...

are sent! By a couple of months! I'm mailing thank you cards out now for the gifts but should I still invite them to the shower? I don't want to look like we're asking for MORE gifts!

Most of the gifts we are getting are from out-of-town family/friends,I know they wouldn't come...

Thanks for your thoughts =)

Re: Getting gifts before the shower invites...

• I'm so glad you asked this.  I was just wondering the same thing!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.
  • I had that happen with one person. 

I don't know if this was the best way to approach it, but I did this:

I wrote my thank you, and included a note stating that they were already on the invitee list for my shower, and would be receiving an invitation from my hostess - but that they shouldn't feel that it was asking for gifts, just to be included in the celebration!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Many folks may do that to just get it out of the way or to have dibs on the item they want to buy for you.  Inviting them to the shower is not and should not be an immediate expectation that they should bring a gift.  If I had sent you a gift and still attended your shower I probably wouldn't bring another gift.  It's like inviting someone to more than one shower.  I'm sure ppl wouldn't bring two gifts.  KWIM?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCrazyToast:

I had that happen with one person. 

I wrote my thank you, and included a note stating that they were already on the invitee list for my shower, and would be receiving an invitation from my hostess - but that they shouldn't feel that it was asking for gifts, just to be included in the celebration!

That is a really great idea!!! Maybe include that you plan to display their gift at the shower too. (I displayed the gifts I got early at the shower)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • imageTulipsAndChampagne:
    imageCrazyToast:

I had that happen with one person. 

That is a really great idea!!! Maybe include that you plan to display their gift at the shower too. (I displayed the gifts I got early at the shower)

Yes 

• if they live out of town and you know they wouldn't come, then i wouldnt invite them. but if they live locally and were just sending the gift early to get dibs on the gift they want, and you still want them there for fun/games/food etc, then send an invite.

i am having 3 showers - one big one locally, one at work (just with my coworkers) and one in nevada with my family that lives there (b/c i'll be there visiting my mom). the guests invited to the one in vegas have already sent gifts because they knew i wouldnt be able to bring the gift on the plane

weve also gotten gifts from out of town family = they don't expect an invitation to the shower (its not really something you would fly in for) they just wanted to buy us a gift.

hope this makes sense

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"