Preemies
Options

Carseats for tall preemies?

Hello!  This is actually the first time I have ventured over to the preemie board.  I hope that some of you might have some ideas for me! 

My 4 month old DD is about to outgrow (in length) her SnugRide Infant Car seat.  I am trying to decide what car seat to get for her next.  She doesn't have very good neck control, so I am worried that a regular rear facing convertible car seat won't give her enough neck support.

Her current seat is a SnugRide that is rated for 22 pounds or 29 inches.  I am wondering if ot would be better to get her the SnugRide 35 which is rated to 35 ponds and 32 inches or if I should go ahead and transition her to the Graco MyRide (convertible carseat) we got as a shower gift. 

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Additional background- My daughter was born at 33w 3d back in March.  We had her 4 month well baby check a couple weeks ago and she was 17 pounds and 26 inches.  So in 4 months she has more than tripled her birth weight.  Unfortunately her nervous system hasn't kept pace with her weight and she has a lot of head lag.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Carseats for tall preemies?

• Options
    She'll probably be fine in the SnugRide until 9 months at least. You'll be surprised how growth starts to slow. Does the MyRide recline?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ijackijack member
    Honestly, it will probably take her a couple more months at least to grow 3". When she does out grow it I would move her to a convertible seat, but you want to keep her in the carrier for your sake :) 
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't spend the money on another infant carrier. When she actually does outgrow the seat you have, go ahead and use the MyRide. We have 2 of them and they look very comfy! Your baby would be fine in one now, if you wanted. After all, they are made for babies starting at 5lbs. They have the infant inserts and everything. And the recline will be enough for a baby with little head control.
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options
    I also wouldn't spend the money on another infant seat.  It will take her a little while to grow those 3 more inches.  I think the My Ride should be fine by then.  Especially rear facing they recline a little bit.

• Options
    I'd also keep her in the infant seat. If it's getting too heavy, I'd just leave it in the car that you use. DS didn't switch to a convertible one until 11 months. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    Thanks guys!  We are going to keep DD in the infant seat as long as possible.  Once she outgrows it, we'll go ahead and transition her to the convertible seat, rear facing of course.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"