Breastfeeding

Weaning to cow's mik Q

My LO is approaching his first birthday just as I have to go back to work again ( I am a teacher).  I would like to start weaning to cow's milk right after his 1st bday, esp. for the daytime feeds so I don't have to pump.  Any tips or suggested websites/books to read?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weaning to cow's mik Q

• KGskyKGsky member
    I say "Just Do It."  DD was fine with the transition, and didn't really seem to notice the change much.  We used the breastflow bottles with her long after she was weaned, so I think the act of simulated nursing was more of a comfort to her than the milk itself.  She won't drink an ounce of milk from a cup now, so I'm guessing that's why, but if you have any trouble, try mixing in the breastmilk with the cow's milk.  I think we did that for a week or so, too.
  • Thanks!  Great tip KGsky!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKGsky:
    I say "Just Do It." 

I second this.  You know your LO best, just go with what makes sense for you.

Pedi okay'd us to start small amounts of cows milk early - starting around 10 months.  We just put an ounce or two in a sippy and let him work on it with meals throughout the day.  He really loved it and had no ill reactions.  Now we're up to 6-8 oz of cow's milk a day.

I'd start with the easiest thing - you never know it might work!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, PA.  BTW...super cute pic.  My DH is a PSU alumni too.  He loves to put LO in PSU stuff all the time!  :)
  • I'm an alum and DH is a huuuge fan.  :-)   All of my friends from school who purchased gifts for Drew got him something PSU related, haha!

GO STATE!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ehhh... just doing it... may not work : /

DD hated the taste at first, I had to mix 3/4 BM and 1/4 organic HM in a bottle to get her to take it (she would not drink the regular store brand)

I have slowly been decreasing the BM, we are now down to 1/4 BM.

I always offered it to her before a nursing session (3x a day then) and she eventually quit nursing at those times.

WHen she is on 100% HM, I will work on using the sippy... one thing at a time : )

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"