Special Needs

AFO orthodic brace?

Does anyones LO use these? How have they helped? My DD's physiatrist wants me to get her a pair to support her legs in learning to walk. She loves to stand and can do it holding on. However, her physical therapist is still determined to concentrate on crawling and rolling before walking.  They're going to cost me a bundle out of pocket (my insurance covers nothing). How helpful have these been to others? Thanks

Re: AFO orthodic brace?

• yes, my daughter wears them. they work well.
  • they helped us a lot!  what size shoe is your LO wearing these days?  i know they actually measure them and all but we have isaac's old ones if you wanted to try them out.  i could mail them to you.  they may not fit perfect - but it might give you the idea so if you love them you can buy her some.  his braces lasted him awhile through a couple of shoe sizes actually.  i think we started at like a size 4 shoe and then a 5 and i think we even crammed him in a 6W  for a little while in them.  :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • NJLHNJLH member
    That's sweet of u Pierce,. I didnt even realize it went by shoe size. I have to go get her measured but she only wears a 2-3 shoe (shes tiny!). But I appreciate the offer and glad to hear they helped!
  • DD has some. In my experience with DD and with teaching kiddos with special needs, how effective they are really depends on what the reasoning is behind using them.  Sometimes, I think they're a bit over-prescribed and not specifically helpful for every kid, but for other kids they are helpful. We got DDs because she had pretty bad foot drop and they help her to gain the flexion (think that's the right word?) back in her foot to get a good 90 degree angle. Other kiddos need them because their foot rolls, or because they're putting their weight in the wrong place on their foot. When DD is leaning on something standing what is her foot doing that they think she needs one? They aren't super cheap, so I'd want to know that there's an actual reasoning behind what they're prescribing, not just that its a norm. They'll be custom fit to DDs foot using a combination of flexible plastic and foam. They'll take about a month or so to make and then you'll go back in and they'll adjust them some more. She'll start out wearing them prob 30 mins or so. Most kids hate wearing them, but gradually you'll increase the amount of time she wears them and she'll probably get more and more okay with it, just like anything else.  Edited to fix a backwards sentence. :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • NJLHNJLH member
    Thanks Mummy. The dr feels that her feet and legs spread out and turn outward? When she goes on her tummy, her legs spread like a frog. He thought these would be good to practice weight bearing on her legs. I dont know much about them except they  may cost me $2000 out of pocket so I really hope they do something
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"