Upstate NY Babies

Zoey's been exposed to hand foot & mouth disease

My sister just got diagnosed with it.  She has no idea how she got it because the dr said that it's usually seen in young kids, or people who are around them all the time (work in a daycare, etc).  

So, now I'm worried that Zoey has been exposed (we are with my sis a few times a week) and right before we are going away to go camping.  I'm gonna call the ped in a few minutes and see what they say about it - what I should look for, what to do if she starts showing symptoms while we are away, etc.  But I thought I remembered someone's LO here had this a while back.  Anyone know anything about hand, foot, & mouth?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Zoey's been exposed to hand foot & mouth disease

• DS had it last fall.  There wasn't much to do to treat it.  He had a few white sores inside his mouth (didn't get any on his hands or feet).  He had a fever for a few days and then the sores.  He was miserable for a good week.  I remember they told us to make some mixture and dab it onto his sores (it was maalox and something else, but I don't remember).  I don't think it helped much.
  • imageBethPSU:
      I remember they told us to make some mixture and dab it onto his sores (it was maalox and something else, but I don't remember).  I don't think it helped much.

I think its maalox and benadryl.

I have know a few kiddos who've had it.. it can be pretty yucky.. but I don't know anything about whether she'd get it from your sis or how long it would take..

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • My bridesmaid got it the weekend of our wedding. The doc's best guess was that she picked it up on the plane. I think the doc gave her antibiotics and I remember it taking her a few days to get back to normal.  I hope Zoey doesn't get it.
  • I think you are supposed to be careful because you are pregnant.. but you should be ok with lots of handwashing and being careful with stuff like not sharing food.

You can google it, there is tons of info.. usually littler kids get a high fever, rash, sores.  Adults have milder symptoms, like scratchy throat/headache type stuff.

Can you think of the contact your sister had with your DD?  Like did they share food or anything?  Was it a quick visit or longer?

• All of Justin's little cousins had it 2 weeks ago. Thank God we were super busy that week and didn't see family at all! The kids all had little blisters on their feet and sores in their mouths. SIL said the kids were so miserable they couldn't eat and drooled a ton (they're 3, 2 &2- so not normal droolers, lol)
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • is that the same as 5th's disease? i would call your dr and make sure you are ok if you were exposed.  i feel like it is a concern for pg women

• Well, I called the ped and they told me what to watch for and said that if she does come down with it, there is really nothing we could do besides just Motrin for the discomfort.  I'm really hoping that it won't be an issue though.  My sister only has the blisters in her mouth, nothing on her hands or feet, so I'm hoping that it's pretty unlikely that either Zoey or I caught it.  We were with her 3 days within the past week, and I did take a few bites of her bagel though, so I guess it's a definite possibility.  :(  

Jewels, Idk if it is the same as Fifths, but it makes me nervous that it seems like this could be a concern with me being pg.  Off to google, and will probably be calling my dr. on Monday.  Hopefully we won't be needing to drive in from Letchworth sometime during the week for dr appts for either Zoey or I.

Thanks for all the info ladies.  Think healthy thoughts for us!

• Justin had it last year and I was pregnant at the time.  I would just make sure to tell your OB.  Justin had a very mild case of it.  He basically had a fever and a rash.  The Dr. saw a few sores in his mouth but you would never have known Justin was sick.  It's very contagious though.  I think right after the fever develops is when you're most contagious, so I would try to keep your daughter away from kids until the doc says it's ok.
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oops, sorry.  I meant to say that if she does get it then you'd want to keep her away from other kids.
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"