Breastfeeding
Options

This is my first baby, & I plan to BF...questions?

So, I am just looking for some advice and knowledge from you lovely ladies!  I am 31 weeks pregnant with my first child.  I plan to BF for as long as I can.  I have a few questions and then also would love any added tips or comments you can give me.

1.  I have to go back to work after maternity leave, but will be home for 4 to 6 weeks to start.  Do I need to purchase a breast pump ahead of time, or will I be ok while i am at home.  I am assuming everyone is different as far as how much milk they produce....so is it possible i will still have to pump while at home with LO?  Is there a pump you recommend.  i want a good one, but dont really want to spend $300 if I can avoid it.

2.  How long is the baby strictly on breast milk.  And, when they start being able to eat baby food, how often do you bf also?  I know to you guys this might be a really stupid question....but i just have NO clue. 

3.  I was told by someone that for the first month, it is best to ONLY let the baby bf and not to use a bottle at all even if it is with breast milk in the bottle.  They said that this could cause nipple confusion and the baby might possible stop being interested in the breast.  Is this true?

Thank you again for any advice you can give me! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: This is my first baby, & I plan to BF...questions?

• Options
    1.  If you know you're going to need a pump eventually I would buy it ahead of time.  You might need it to pump a little if you get too engorged and LO can't latch.  You also might want it so you can start building a freezer stash right away.  I like the Medela PISA and I think this is definitely an area where you shouldn't go cheap.  You will use it a lot and it's really not that expensive especially if you compare it to the cost of formula.

2.  The baby is strictly on breast milk for 6 months.  This is my first so I'm not sure how often you bf during the transition.  I would think you start with one meal a day of solids and slowly transition over time.  Also, if you're giving LO cereal, you will probably mix it with breast milk.

3.  One month is the recommendation but it depends on the baby.  We had to bottle feed breast milk in the hospital while LO was in the nursery and we didn't have any problems transitioning to breastfeeding.  We reintroduced a bottle once a day at 2 weeks and still didn't have any problems.  Just make sure you use a bottle that is recommended for breastfed babies.  There are a lot of options and you can post on here to find out what everyone else is using.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First, congrats to you and good luck in these final weeks!  Your LO will be here before you know it.  Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Yes, you will need to get a pump and begin pumping before you go back to work.  This will help you with two things - establish/build up your milk supply for LO if you have supply issues, and help you build a freezer stash for when you return to work.  I used to pump in the mornings when my milk supply was highest and DD never emptied both breasts in the morning.  As for what pump to buy...I didn't want to spend $300 either.  I got the miPump double electric breast pump by The First Years and it was $99.  I have been using the pump for 3 months and love it.  I pump 2-3x per day and have had no issues with it.  Would definitely recommend it.

2.  How long a baby is strictly on breastmilk is entirely up to you, with some guidance from your pedi.  I plan to breastfeed until 6months and then see if I want to go longer than that.  I will probably start to introduce other foods to my baby around 4-5 months (starting off with cereal/oatmeal)

3.  It is true that you don't want to introduce a bottle to a BF baby until you have established a good nursing relationship with LO.  I waited until DD was about 4 weeks old before introducing a bottle and I had DH give the bottle.  We then had DH give a bottle once  week until I went back to work so that DD could get used to taking a bottle and also nursing.  Now that I am back to work, she nurses 3x a day and gets 2 bottles while I am at work.

HTH, and good luck to you!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1. I suggest just buying your pump ahead of time - just don't open the box.  I was really happy that I had my pump waiting at home for me since I ended up have issues latching on. I have the Medela Freestyle and love it.  Although at first I did have the Lansinoh double electric.  I EPed for 6 weeks with the Lansinoh and I recommend that pump.  I like my freesyle much better (not as loud, more compact for travel, ect...) - but if you don't want to spend that much Lansinoh was good too.

2.  Babies start eating solid food between 4-6 months of age.  A lot of people wait until 6 months but some peds give the go ahead at 4 months.  We started solids at 4 months of age and now DS eats 3 "meals" a day.  He still takes 7 bottles a day in addition to that.  Each bottle containing 4oz.  When I was nursing he only took 3 bottles while I was gone but we are in a nursing strike now and I am EPing for him - hence the 7 bottles a day.  In the begining when starting solids - the baby will continue to nurse the same amount.  This is because solid food does not replace milk.  BM or formula will be their main source of nutrition up until 1 yrs old.

3.  Some children experience nipple confusion and some have no issue with going from breast to bottle and back.  Since you are going back to work I would suggest getting a slow flow nipple.  I like the Avent bottles - works for us. I think it's safe to introduce the bottle around 3 weeks (JMO).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

1.  You don't have to have a pump right away.  You said "I am assuming everyone is different as far as how much milk they produce"  This is true, but not because each woman is different - because each baby is different. 

Nursing is supply and demand - assuming that you let your baby nurse as often as they like for as long as they like, you can be 99% sure that your body will make enough milk for your baby.  Our bodies are amazing - and the system does work!   Each time you put baby to breast you're sending signals about how much milk to make.  Your body will make what is needed.  That's why the pump isn't necessary right away.  But after a few weeks, you may want to pump to start getting baby practice with a bottle.

2.  Your baby can thrive on breast milk alone for 6 months. Some people choose to intro solids some time after 4 months - that's a personal choice.  However, no matter when you start, solids don't replace breast milk until closer to a year.  Breastmilk (or formula for FF babies) is still the most important form of nutrition.  The little bit of oatmeal or sweet potato your baby will eat at 6 or 7 months is not enough.  They need the fat and protein from milk.  So at first, you just keep nursing the same amount and add in one solid "meal" at a time. 

Drew kept the exact same nursing habits from 4 months through 9 months even though we started solids at 6 months. 

3. As pp said, some babies have a preference for the bottle - the milk comes faster and it's much easier.  Once they get a taste for that, they may refuse the breast. Other babies go back and forth from birth with no problem. 

Good questions - keep 'em coming!  I think it's really important to be informed and aware of how BFing works.  There's still a lot to learn "on the job" but having good info before hand will give you more confidence!  

Kellymom.com is a great resource for all things BF.  Check it out!  Also definitely use the LCs at your hospital and have the number of an LC or LC hotline to call when you get home.  Everybody can use extra help in those first few weeks!  GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

1. I'd buy the pump ahead and start pumping while you're home with LO - both to help build your supply and also to begin building a freezer stash for when you're at work. The Lansinoh Double Electric is a good option - it's $100 for the regular model or $150 for the "Affinity" - I'm not entirely sure what the difference is. I have the regular one and the Affinity has come out since.

2. 6 months on straight breastmilk. At first they eat every 2-3 hours and then it tapers off as they eat more per session. Now, at 8 months my daughter eats on average every 4 hours during the day, but can go 5. 

3. Yes, that is true but my daughter got a bottle while in the hospital. I think it CAN, but as long as you keep offering the breast I think you're ok. For the first couple weeks I would try to do breast only if you can. And always use the SLOWEST flow nipple you can, even as they get bigger stay with the slow flow nipple because it's more similar to the flow from the breast. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"