Pregnant after IF

real life "i didn't know i was pregnant" makes for interesting afternoon at work

or so the headlines should read, anyway.

Now - i'm 21 weeks pregnant. If I didn't know that, I would think there was something seriously wrong with me. I'm inexplicably gaining weight in my boobs and in my abdomen, there seems to be something alien trying to escape from my belly and i'm peeing/exhausted all the time.

You CAN'T convince me that these women who make it 9 months without knowing they are pregnant are anything other then delusional. The mind is a very powerful thing. Especially THIS woman, who's CCU nurse friend kept TELLING her to take a test, because she noticed that the usually skinny chain smoking mother of 2 was gaining weight in a very specific area.

So, the other day (um, lets say 2 weeks ago, because I can't remember when exactly) she POAS and is SURPRISE pregnant. Yesterday, she calls her friend in agony. She is having doubling over abdominal pain. Her friend calls 911 and meets her at the house. To make a VERY long story short, and leaving out the parts where things went ridiculously wrong between the EMTs and the hospital, they get to the ER and this is what I hear coming around the corner heading towards my district (because that's where all of the train wrecks wind up): {{indistinct woman screaming her head off}} EMTs: "Don't push - whatever you do, don't push!"

So, they come around the corner and there's a women obviously pregnant, her pants half cut off, with an oxygen mask on, with blood dripping down her leg. Lovely. 

I run to get the doc, to have him come in the room for me for the triage, and he's not moving quite fast enough for my liking. Fortunately, 2 of the other nurses DID hear me and met me in the room. the techs got the IV cart, OB cart and the infant warmer. We got her pants the rest of the way off, and sure enough, there's a head.

MAYBE 1 push later, she's still denying that she's full term, but there's a 6lb baby girl loudly disagreeing with her. "But I had my period 2 weeks ago." Um, hate to disagree. But no.

L&D finally shows up, and we get mom and baby upstairs.

I did remind her how to spell Genna on her way up though. Stick out tongue

When I saw her friend in the hallway later, she told me that the father never even knew about the + HPT and the woman's mother's response was "there's no way she's THAT stupid". 

At least i'm not the only one.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
The Dandelion Archive
"If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: real life "i didn't know i was pregnant" makes for interesting afternoon at work

• MonaLSMonaLS member

I think those people are on a different planet...I remember my mom telling me like she didn't know she was pregnant until she was 6 months or so pregnant with me which I DO NOT BELIEVE.......Fear, denial, sure...but ignorance...really?

Amazing..at least the chickie's mom agreed that she is full of crap.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • my IRL friend started dating this girl who basically immediately moved into his house and things got very serious, very quickly. Now he's not the best looking guy in the world, so to find that he has a sudden live-in girlfriend was a bit off putting, but everyone is happy that he's happy.

Then one day he calls and says guess what? I'm all what? And he's like I'm a dad.

He proceeds to tell me that they rushed GF to the emergency room thinking her appendix was bursting and as it turns out - nope she was having a baby.

If the kid didn't look like him, I'd swear she got KU by someone else, moved in with him and pretended she didn't know. But the kid is his spitting image. I still think she knew the whole time. I mean really. How do you not know?

I have terrible nausea (even w/o vomiting), exhaustion, hemorrhoids, constipation, my boobs have grown from a 34C to a 34F, I've gained 12 pounds, and now I'm living with sciatica. And I'm barely 15 weeks. You mean to tell me you can make it the better part of 9 months without ONE of those things happening to you? No, no you cant.  

• Loading the player...
  • I can't believe some people, seriously.
  • I am with you. I know we are super sensitive because of the IF.... but seriously, I get dry heaves when I cook, I can fall asleep anywhere (and I used to be an insomniac), and I am hungry every 2 hours when I used to be able to go all day without eating or drinking.

In high school a friend of mine didn't know she was KU until she was about 18 weeks, mostly denial, some just not paying attention to her cycle, but even she KNEW by 18 weeks... and I think she was 17... a grown woman not knowing????? Please.....

3 yrs ttc, 3ivfs, 4 iuis and finally a baby boy! And then a girl to follow. 2 under 2!
  • I don't believe that these women don't know. I think they all need major psych treatment. I feel like crap. If I didn't know I was pregnant I would think I was dying and would be in the doctors for sure. To go 9 whole months and not notice anything is ridiculous!
    TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • I really don't get how anyone can not know they are pregnant.  It's plainly obvious with all the changes that happen.  I think it must be denial like some of you are saying.  That or they are crazy.  Could be either or both!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'll be waiting to see you on TLC

Will you be playing yourself? Stick out tongue

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really don't believe these people don't know....they are just in denial or don't want to own up to the fact.

I have a girl that i worked with and she "claims" she didn't know she was until she was like 28-29 weeks.   I don't know which made her look more stupid--the fact that she said "it was strange that every time i drank beer i would get nauseous" or the fact she claims she didn't know.

SHe was a smoker and a pretty big drinker so i think she didn't want to sacrifice that--so she just pretended she didn't know.

I have watched that show on TLC a few times, and i actually had to turn it off because i thought the people and stories were just plain dumb! 

• I admit it: I wouldn't have known I was pregnant for months if I hadn't known!

I was never sick (I only got nauseous when I didn't eat), I didn't really have any cravings or aversions, I wore the same size bra to the day I delivered, I didn't really start showing for real until about 26 weeks, and I only gained 10 pounds the whole pregnancy. However, I was feeling the baby around 21 weeks or so. Of course, I would have started being suspicious once I went two months without AF, though.... I would be at the least going to the doctor for provera!

I have trouble believing you wouldn't know once you're past 5-6 months, though. By the end of my pregnancy, I looked like I'd swallowed a beach ball. And despite my super minimal weight gain the baby was almost 10 pounds.

imageimage

• She's been pregnant twice before, and given birth twice before (assuming), but couldn't make the connection?  Yikes.
    dx'd with severe endo and poor egg quality 3 IUIs were all BFN IVF #1 = c/p IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = beautiful baby girl born 2/2011; 8/2011 Surprise BFP - natural m/c at 8w; TTC #2 2011-2012; 2 IUIs = BFN; IVF #1 = BFP 9dp5dt beta = 328; 11dp5dt = 650; 13dp5dt = 1114; 18dp5dt = 4747 BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"