Stay at Home Moms
Options

Does anyone have a mother's helper?

My DH is looking into taking a new job.  If that happens he cannot take our DS to preschool and pick him up like he did last year.  I have epilepsy and cannot drive.  We live in the DC area and I was wondering how much on average at mother's helper would be. I have looked at nanny sites and everyone wants full time hours and cost way too much!  That is not necessary for our situation nor could we afford it.

Re: Does anyone have a mother's helper?

• Options

babypup- lives in the DC area and did an extensive search on finding a MH. (as I am too- but in the Philly area). -- $8-10/hr seemed to be general going rate for a MH. However, that doesn't take into consideration driving LO's- so especially for your area- I would think more- maybe 12/hr.

GL- having epilepsy is NOT easy. I dealt with it in college- so I know.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

After searching high and low, I just hired someone this morning.  We just had our second baby two weeks ago, and were looking for someone to help me out with our toddler while I tend to the new baby, and run a few errands.  I was hoping for someone two mornings per week, for 3-4 hours each time, but it was a little pricey.  We're paying $15/hour for one morning a week.  We are going to play it by ear and see how it goes, but it will most likely be temporary (probably for 2-3 months), as we are hoping to get DD into a Mom's Morning Out/Preschool for tots program two mornings per week.  

FWIW, I think $15/hour for a mother's helper is insane, but I know the woman through someone else, and she is very trustworthy.  Plus, I will be running out periodically (she starts next Tuesday while I head to a doctor's appt with my newborn), so she is more of a babysitter.  

I did post an ad on Craigslist, which proved to be more of a headache than anything else, and the going rate for a mother's helper seemed to be about $10-15/hour, depending on a few factors.  However, I couldn't find someone I really trusted, so to me, it wasn't worth saving a few dollars an hour.

Good luck, I know it's frustrating! 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It would probably be easier and cheaper to hire another mother to take and pick up your child from preschool.  I have a neighbor who worked at DD's preschool and for a while, I could not lift my DS in and out of the car because on an injury, so could not go get DD.  She did not charge me, but I would have paid her if she had.  I would think, depending on the amount of driving, that another mother would do that for no more than $10 a day, if you could find someone close by. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"