North Carolina Babies

Moving out of crib poll

We are trying to figure out when and how to transition O out of his crib.  We have a crib that goes to a toddler bed, then full size bed.

At what age did/will you move DC out of a crib?

Will they go to a toddler bed or regular bed?

Will you keep their door shut at night, or gate of the steps so they can't go downstairs? 

Re: Moving out of crib poll

• Thinking by the time she turns 2, she will be out of her crib.  She is a monkey and I want to move her before she really climbs or falls out.  And she is already close.

Not sure if we will convert to a toddler bed or buy a twin.  I think I'd rather get a twin, because I want her to have more room, and the toddler is the same crib mattress.  But I think a full is too much room for now.

We will keep their door closed, with a gate too probably.  By then she will probably be able to open doors, so we may use a gate too.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We also have a crib that converts to a toddler bed, then a double bed. Now I kind of wish we hadn't gotten the toddler rail, b/c I think I'd just rather wait until she outgrows the crib and go straight to a big girl bed.  She has never tried to climb out of her crib, and I think she's too short to do it anyway, so I haven't been in any rush to switch her.

But since we do have the toddler rail, we will probably switch to the toddler bed once Mads is consistently daytime potty trained, so it will be easier to get her in and out if she needs to go at night. And then I guess we'll switch to the regular bed when she is 4 or so.

I think we will just keep her door closed and teach her that she can't come in and out without us. I'm not comfortable locking her in, b/c I'd be scared of what would happen in an emergency. But we don't have stairs either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • At what age did/will you move DC out of a crib? Whenever he started climbing out... between 18 months and 2 years.

Will they go to a toddler bed or regular bed? I guess his is a toddler bed situation.  He's in the crib without the front rail on it.  It's on the lowest setting, so it's just a few inches off the ground.

Will you keep their door shut at night, or gate of the steps so they can't go downstairs? We keep his door shut and the doorknob is child-proofed.  It didn't take him long to start opening the door once he was out of the crib. 

• At what age did/will you move DC out of a crib? Probably around age 2, maybe a little later. Holly has never attempted to climb out, and loves her crib.

Will they go to a toddler bed or regular bed? We'll convert her crib to the toddler bed

Will you keep their door shut at night, or gate of the steps so they can't go downstairs? We'll probably keep the door shut, with a childproofed cover over the doorknob. We already have a gate at the top of the stairs, which are right outside of her room.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• It was a little after he turned 2.  He wasn't crawling out or anything, we just decided it was time. 

We also have a convertible crib so he's in a toddler bed.  We didn't use the rail though, so like a daybed.  He'll stay in it until we have another baby and need the crib again, and then we'll get him a full size bed. 

At first I did keep the door shut and locked, and also have a gate at the top of the stairs.  DS is upstairs and we're downstairs, so I was paranoid about him getting out and falling down the stairs.  But he has never gotten out of bed, so we stopped locking the door and stopped using the gate.  The door is still closed though.  He just lays in bed and calls for me when he wakes.  We also continue to use the video monitor.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Funny you should ask this. 

We just got back from the Beach and Camryn had to sleep in a regular double bed while we were there.  She did fine.

I randomly decided to take the front of her crib and put on the toddler front on that has the half rail.  She seemed all excited about it at first when I put her to bed last night.  But then she said she wanted her crib back.  She did fine last night but she told me again this morning that she wants her crib back.  I really don't want to fool with putting it back on so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. 

Sometimes I just get a wild hair and do things because I don't like sitting around dwelling and trying to make a decision.  But maybe I made a mistake.  I might give it another night or two or see how she does this weekend with napping.  If she tries to get out of laying down for her nap, I might be whipping out the screw driver and changing it back! 

She wanted us to keep the door cracked last night, which is out of the norm.  But we also did this while she was laying in the bed at the beach.  I just closed it before I went to bed.  We have a one story house and she doesn't open the doors too often, she's still trying to really figure out how to do it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• We didn't get the conversion kit for the crib, so we'll just get a twin bed for him. Probably do it around 2/2.5 or whenever he starts crawling out..... We have a gate on his door but we'll still shut the door at night, which we do now and there is another gate at the top of the stairs.

I have quite a few friends that didn't move their children to beds until 3 yrs old.....

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  At what age did/will you move DC out of a crib?  around 18 months - when she started climbing out of her crib.

Will they go to a toddler bed or regular bed?  at first we just converted her crib to a toddler bed, but it was just so small (she's really tall).  she was always falling off of it.  so about 6 weeks ago I bought her a twin mattress and put it on the floor.  i wanted to wait on buying the actual bed because i knew if baby #2 is a girl i would want them to have matching beds since they will share a room.  so now i need to go bed shopping.

Will you keep their door shut at night, or gate of the steps so they can't go downstairs?   i keep her door shut and the knob is baby-proofed. 

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• I have no plans to do this anytime soon. We have all the conversion peices but I dont see the need right now. He hast climbed out yet....so Im not going there. Plus I know he wont stay....so its not worth the hassle right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not a big fan of waiting till the girls climb out (and hence fall out) of the crib before moving them.  Granted, we needed Natalie's crib long before we had to worry about that but I will move Claire to a big girl bed before she gets close to crawling out also. 

We moved Natalie to a twin bed (mattress and box spring on the floor) at 17 mo.  She has child-safe handles on her door handles and we keep the gate closed.  She's upstairs and we're downstairs.  I'm terrified she'll go out of the room and fall down the stairs.  Now that she's 90% potty trained, we're going to have to start leaving the door to her bathroom open (they're connected) once she works out pulling up and down her underwear on her own (still can't get them over her butt).  But I'll probably still keep the bathroom door to the hallway shut for awhile longer.  We'll put Natalie's bed on a twin frame in a few years when we decide if we're having another child and thus, whehter her and Claire will be sharing a room.

The crib does convert to a toddler bed but we of course needed it as a crib for Claire.  I'm not sure if we'll have Claire use it as a toddler bed or move her straight to a twin bed.

Overall, I was pretty happy with the transition for Natalie to the twin bed.  There was definitely a transition period of needing to work with her on not getting in and out of bed but like most things with children, you just have to work with them on it.  It didn't take too long for her to stay in her bed for bedtime and nap.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We moved Ashley to a toddler bed at 2.5 (we converted her crib). She wasn't trying to climb out, but we figured she couldn't stay in a crib forever :) When we moved her, she consistently got out of bed and played for hours for at least two months, it was so frustrating!! We ended up putting the child proof cover on her door knob bc she would come out and we would find her in her toys in the living room, in the pantry trying to get a snack, etc (we have a one story house). After about two months, she stopped getting out of bed to play and goes to bed pretty much as soon as we put her down. She is potty trained at night, but we do leave her potty in her room in case she wakes up in the morning and needs to go (she has rarely done this).
  • Toddler bed at 18 mths cause my daughter was climbing out of crib. Very hard to get her to sleep in toddler bed. After about 2 weeks of hell she was in it. Switched to twin bed at 3. I still put a gate at her bedroom door even though she can climb it, makes me feel safe. :)
  • At what age did/will you move DC out of a crib? Hoping to wait until 2.5ish.  Right now he is not mature enough, it would be a disaster (I envision him racing me to the door at bedtime).  He does know how to climb out of his crib, but rarely does except when we are just in here playing.

Will they go to a toddler bed or regular bed? Twin mattress and box spring on the floor.  His crib converts, but I don't see a 2 year old needing a full sized bed (I didn't get one until I was 25 LOL).  I'll use the head and footboard on our guest bed.

Will you keep their door shut at night, or gate of the steps so they can't go downstairs? Right now his doorknob is babyproofed, but after he is potty trained, I imagine we will need to leave it open so that he can get to the bathroom during the night (although I like lah's idea of leaving a potty in the room).
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecrescentmoon99:
      Right now he is not mature enough, it would be a disaster (I envision him racing me to the door at bedtime).  

This is DEFINITELY us! But I'm not buying another crib for this new baby, so he's getting moved up to our guest room (which I'm in the slow process of turning into his "Big Boy Room"). It has a queen bed which he'll sleep in. I wouldn't normally choose a queen bed for a toddler, but it's what we already have so it's going to work. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"