High-Risk Pregnancy

NO Metformin in Pregnancy? (PCOS/T-2 Diabetes)

I need someone to explain this to me, since it didn't work either of the 3 times the OB tried. 

So long story short, years back (after stopping running x-country in HS and college), I started having SEVERE issues with hyperinsulinism/insulin resistance/PCOS.  Apparently, it really did take my metabolism at least 5 mile runs, 6 days a week, to keep at something resembling normal.

The results of getting a desk job and not taking long daily runs were disastrous - 40 lb weight gain in less than 3 months, irregular or no periods, hirsutism, passing out randomly (due to low blood sugar, which would crash to hell after meals), some symptoms of malnutrition, and when I went in to have my labs done, my testosterone was over 5 times what it should be. 

It took 2,000 mg of Met a day to get me back to normal - as I am a thin person with a high metabolism anyway (yeah, I'm weird), I had to eat throughtout the day BEFORE I got PG to avoid low blood sugar/passing out.

Now that I'm pregnant... (have a HB on the sonogram-stethescope thing, is that a Doppler? I had it first thing in the AM and thanks to no coffee, didn't think to ask)... they want me to go OFF metformin entirely? Even if I follow the uber-strict diabetic diet they want to put me on, how the F is elevated testosterone, plus the fact that my body refuses to recognize/use the food I eat without metformin, supposed to be good for my baby?

They said it was ultimately my decision, but their reasoning is they don't feel Met has been studied in pregnancy enough.

Has anyone ever had a successful pregnancy/healthy baby, with or without metformin?

Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!

Re: NO Metformin in Pregnancy? (PCOS/T-2 Diabetes)

• Hello,

I also have PCOS and only took my 2000 mg of metformin for the first 12 weeks since my doc didn't recommend taking it past the first trimester but there are women who take it throughout the whole pregnancy. I would recommend going to https://www.pcosupport.org/ for information. These message boards for pcos really helped me.

Good luck. 

• Same with me.  I took 2K of metformin for the first trimester then switched to insulin.  The doc said metformin doesn't seem to be as effective as insulin later in pregnancy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • From what my Endocrinologist & Diabetes educator, I'm T2, they have both told me that Met is the only safe drug to take when pregnant. Well, that & insulin. That it is a Class B drug. You should see an Endocrinologist while you are pregnant if you have insulin issues. GL

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I got conflicting information.

I took Met for PCOS but I barely took it regularrly right  before and after my BFP because of other medical issues I was having (surgery & some CAT scans/MRIs).

My PCP told me to continue to take it.  My fertility people told me I didn't need it.  I was worried because many say it lowers the risk of miscarriage in PCOS women but since I hadn't been taking it I didn't want to mess anything up.

Ultimately I didn't take it and nothing happened.  There are MANY women on the SoulCysters board that continue to take it their entire pregnancy.

You might want to get a second opinion and there are some on THIS board that took Met for GD after glyburide failed.

• I took metformin during my 2nd trimester and hit the max dose.  I had to switch to insulin because it made me so sick.  My OBs are fairly conservative and up to date on research and had no problem with metformin as it has been studied extensively during pregnancy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have heard that only insulin is relatively safe during pregnancy.I'm type 1 so I have no choice in the matter and I'm not 100% sure.But I do know there are even certain types of insulin that they sometimes avoid.

For example,when I got PG I was on humalog and lantus.One of the reasons they switched me to the pump was to get rid of the lantus.

I think all docs are different too on what they consider safe.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• I've been taking metformin throughout this pregnancy. I still have to keep an eye on my glucose levels but so far I'm staying within range. My RE and my OB both felt I should stay on it. My MFM dr didn't think I should because he mentioned that studies show it will cross the placenta. I went with my OB and have continued to stay on it. So far the ultrasounds look good. The choice is ultimately up to you. If you are really unsure you can always seek another opinion. Good luck with your decision!
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • I was taking metformin before I got pregnant and then went off of it when I got pregnant. I didn't want to take any drugs unless they turned out to be absolutely necessary, so I wanted to give it a shot without it. My sugar actually leveled out with my pregnancy and has been better than ever. I did start eating way better when I got pregnant, so maybe that was it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"