South Florida Babies

FMLA - Staggered Maternity Leave

I think I read somewhere on the FMLA website that maternity leave does not have to be consecutive.  I was wondering if anyone had a staggered maternity leave.  IDK if my principal will even approve it, but I am considering discussing with her some kind of staggered leave.  For example, if I deliver around my due date, I could take 10 weeks leave (which includes Christmas Vacation) and then go right back to work when everyone returns from the Christmas break.  Then, I could take those 2 extra weeks as days off here and there for doctor's appointments or to stay home with the baby to give my mom a few breaks.  I was also considering returning to work a week or two before the Christmas break so that I could collect a couple of paychecks in December and then use the remaining weeks throughout the school year (let's say 1 week off each month).

Has anyone taken a leave like this?  Do you need to specify the dates ahead of time?  How did your employer feel about this? 

Re: FMLA - Staggered Maternity Leave

• Our attorney here at work, had planned to do something like this.  She took 6 wks initially, and then worked part time from home.  Since she worked PT, then she only had to claim 4 hrs each day, which extended her FMLA.  At the end, it didn't work out for her, only b/c of the nature of the job, but employer was initially okay w/ the idea.

Sounds like a great plan in theory... hope it works out for your guys!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That's my only concern with this plan.  Once I go back to work, IDK if I'll be able to take the rest of the time off, especially when FCAT and AP testing comes around.  Even now in the summer, I keep getting called in for meetings here and there and have had to do some work from home. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"