Special Needs

Hi! I'm new here!

Hi!  Ny name is Nicole and my son is 3 1/2.  He was diagnosed with developmental delays and sensory issues.  When we was younger he had speech therapy and and OT.  Last fall he qualified to go into the Child Find program and went to the preschool.  He is going again this fall.  He seems to me to be regressing a great deal.  I don't know because its summer and he is not in a regular program or what.  He has always hit himself.  He will say the word "Ouch!" as he is doing that but we know he is not really feeling it.  He slams into walls.  The doctor explained that he is looking for sensory input but its still really hard when people are staring at your kid.  He puts everything in his mouth.  He is VERY intense and scares just about any kid who is around him.  He has no regard for personal space and just runs up to kids screaming right in their face.  As a mother I just don't know what to do.  With the way he acts and what people say to me I just want to be a shut in but I know that I have to keep trying because its good for him.  I have tried putting him in activities to get him socialized more around other kids but the whole class he is just a nightmare because he is so difficult to handle most days.  I am sure with his age and temper tantrums and yelling is "normal" but it just adds to the stress.  Most of my friends never call me anymore because they don't want their kids around him.  I just feel lost and like I have no one who understands that I can talk to.  People judge me and none of them see how hard I do try. 

Re: Hi! I'm new here!

• I just wanted to say welcome! It sounds like you are dealing with a lot and not getting much support. There are other moms that have some of the same things going on with their kiddos...they will be a great support to you!

I am a first grade teacher and have dealt with these types of kiddos in my classroom and I have seen the look of desperation on the parents' faces. I know they are at their wits end at home as well. Seek out as much support as you can from the school system, as well as from the therapies your LO is receiving. It sounds like you are a great mom and trying to what is best for your child, no matter how challenging it may be. Remember to also try and take care of yourself and seek out support when needed. You deserve a break too!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also welcome!

I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I hope you realize that the people who don't want your son around their own children are not real friends.  You will find real friends on this journey, and try to resist the temptation to withdraw from life. 

If you fear your son is regressing over the summer, talk to your case coordinator about getting him services during "breaks" to prevent that type of regression.  You are entitled to that under federal law.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"