Baby Showers

s/o - the book vs card debate

I'm genuniely curious about this.  If you did NOT register for books nor did you ask showers guests to bring a book, did you not get a lot of books? 

I didn't register or ask people to bring a book, and I have a HUGE collection of baby books.  This is really the main reason why I don't understand why guests need to be asked to bring a book! 

I've never been to a shower where books weren't given - but the guests were never asked to give them.  Many just did as a part of their gift. 

so- I'm just curious if this isn't the norm.  Do a lot of moms find they didn't get any books so that's why it's necessary to ask people to do this?

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

Re: s/o - the book vs card debate

• At my shower my hostess specifically asked for books (not as a card but as the gift) because I had my shower after DD was born (due to premature birth) and many of the guests had already gotten me something.  I didn't want them to feel like they had to get another gift because they were coming to a shower and books can be inexpensive gifts.

But to answer your question, no, I didn't receive books at any other time other than this shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never got any books at any of my showers (I had 4 of them).  My DD's hostess did not ask for books and she did not get any either.  I went to a shower a few weeks ago and I'd say there were probably 50 or more people there.  The ONLY books she got were a couple of board books I added to the diaper bag.  I did not see any of her registry either.  I

My niece, who is a teacher did get maybe 10 books (also a very large shower) but I think most came from other teachers who were guests.  lol

• Loading the player...
  • O.k. - very interesting!  W/ as many books as I've gotten, I really didn't understand why people needed to ask for them, but obviously my experience isn't necessarily the norm.

Good to know! ;)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• We registered for a few board books that I truly wanted: Good Night Moon, several Dr. Seuss, etc.  My fellow teachers were mainly the ones who stocked our baby library with unexpected books. Some of them just did books and others did something like one outfit or several small items and a book.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • My LO isn't here yet, so I can't speak from my own experience, but I've never really seen anyone get books at a shower (unless they were requested by the hostess). My mom always gets Goodnight Moon whenever someone has a baby, but other than that I'd say I haven't seen it. It's a shame. I plan to register for some books after all of this, and I will certainly buy a bunch for LO. 
  • This is apparently happening at my shower as a surprise.  I think it is cute when done occationally, but it is starting to get to be too mainstream and everyone is doing it.

I have been to several showers that didn't do this and the mother still got several books.  Not to mention that baby books are pretty inexpensive and not really something you NEED.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got a few books (and I had multiple showers).  Most people wanted to give clothing...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We often give books to kids for Xmas and B-days - books don't generally stand out to me as a shower gift because infants don't immediately "use" them like bottles and blankets. But DH & I are both English majors with a huge library of childrens books already.
    EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • i'd think if you did this you'd end up with 5 copies of goodnight moon, etc. (that can't be returned if people wrote their card messages in them.)
  • Out of all the showers I have been to, the only ones who got books were the ones asking for a book insted of a card.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers VOTE on my Name List
  • I registered for books and got tons...but it was not a requirement...the little registry insert said "XYZ has registered at BRU and also has a book registry at Target/Target.com"
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • I registered for one of my favorites (Goodnight Moon).  I had three showers and received four books, and one of them was Goodnight Moon.  So, I guess I would say I did not get many books.  I have a large collection of books that I started when I was 20 (I bought one children's book every month for my future child), but not many people know I did that.  I guess in my social circle, most people just purchased from the registry.  Books instead of cards showers are fairly common around here.  I did not have one of those showers though.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't register for books, nor did I have a 'book instead of card' shower and I didn't get many. The books I did get at the shower were all from my book club gals though ;). I guess I didn't really think about it since I go to the bookstore once a week or so and now that I have DS I usually pop into the kids section and pick one up for him too.

TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• ctanactana member
    imageEastCoastBride:

I'm genuniely curious about this.  If you did NOT register for books nor did you ask showers guests to bring a book, did you not get a lot of books? 

I didn't register or ask people to bring a book, and I have a HUGE collection of baby books.  This is really the main reason why I don't understand why guests need to be asked to bring a book! 

I've never been to a shower where books weren't given - but the guests were never asked to give them.  Many just did as a part of their gift. 

so- I'm just curious if this isn't the norm.  Do a lot of moms find they didn't get any books so that's why it's necessary to ask people to do this?

I registered for a few - Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear Brown Bear, Hungry Caterpiller and the Velveteen Rabbit and got both those, and a bunch of other board books at my shower.

I also received some in the hospital when I had my son as well as a few at Christmas.

I feel no need to try and get more books "in-lieu of" a card. I've seen it done at exactly one shower where they tried to say sign a book instead of a card and mom to be got a few copies of Goodnight Moon all written in and a few other cheap books.  To me, it wasn't really worth it.  I see what people are trying to do (build a book library) but seriously I find that it's more trouble than it's worth. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've only been to a few baby showers, but the moms who didn't do the "bring a book thing" got no books at their showers (with the exception of one mom who got two, which were both on her registry).

I don't really understand why this is such a huge "debate".

• We didn't ask for books and we didn't register for books. I ended up with 3 and 2 were the same. Honestly, this is something I'd love to buy myself since I love bookstores so I'm glad I didn't get a lot.
  • sjpsjp member

I had a small sprinkle this time around-the invite poem said something like "bring a rhyme, poem or book . . ."

some brought a book as the gift

and some added a poem to the card if they bought another gift . .

this worked out really well.

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • cadencaden member

If you did NOT register for books nor did you ask showers guests to bring a book, did you not get a lot of books? 

YES! This really surprised me, but I did - in a range of types too (some for slightly older babies, some for infants). I also got a bunch of diapers, which I also didn't register or "ask" for on the invites.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"