Houston Babies

tell me everything you can about pumping at hospital

i didn't do this with ds#1 ....i need info in storing the milk, etc....ill be at woman's tia!

Re: tell me everything you can about pumping at hospital

• Not exactly sure about how they store milk but the couple of nights that you're in the hospital, most likely, it wouldn't have that high of a supply to store.  You just ask your nurse or the nursery nurse for the pump.  The give you the parts (which is great so you don't have to buy them).  I would bring that bra that holds the parts up while you pump or they sell it at the women center. 
    Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • I didn't do it either, but I think that if you're pumping at the hospital it will be either to increase your supply or to give colostrum via bottle if your baby isn't taking the breast well.  You most likely wont be getting milk to put towards a stash, but the nursery surely has the capacity to store anything you may need for feeding your baby in the hospital if it's not immediately going to your baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Bring some bottles with you.  I just pumped and put it in a bottle to feed her at the next feeding. 
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we started pumping almost immediately after birth because I had a c/s and it was to help my milk come in.  Like others have said, you aren't going to have much to give and you might not want to introduce a bottle that early. 

If you think you might have problems latching, try to go by Women's Work before delivery and talk with them about feeding via a syringe or a SNS.

If you don't need to give the milk in the hospital and are pumping to help your milk come in, take a cooler bag and an ice pack with you to the hospital along with a few little bottles.  Pump, store in the cooler bag and any time your DH goes home, have him take home and put in the freezer.

If you have a Medela PISA pump the hospital grade pump parts are usable with it, so make sure you take all the pump parts with you when you go home.  (Take everything but the pump on the stand, LOL.)

If you are pumping only, you'll be pumping about every two to three hours in the beginning.  If you're BFing and pumping, you'll pump for about ten to fifteen minutes after each feeding to help stimulate your breasts.

You probably want to bring some of the cleaning wipes and maybe the microwave sterilizing bags so that you aren't trying to wash pump parts in the little hospital room sink.

• They will bring you everything you need: pump, horns, storage bottles and syringes. They'll also explain where to store your milk or take it from you.

Just call the nurses station and say you need to pump and you need to talk to a lactation consultant. Then you'll get where you need to go. 

If you can, get/make/find a pumping bustier before you go. It makes life easier to pump hands free. 

• I had a mini-fridge in my room for storage.  They brought me everything i needed, including syringes to feed with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"