Multiples
Options

Anybody have babies transferrred immediately after birth?

We found out today that the cardiologist wants baby B transferred to a different hospital after it is born.  Once it is stabilized, she wants him sent. The hospital that I am delivering at has a wonderful NICU, but since baby B has heart thickening from the TTTS (that she thinks will resolve over time), she wants him transferred to a hospital with 24 hour cardiology care.  We are hoping both babies can go so I do not have to balance visiting two different NICUs on top of taking care of DS.  I am super overwhelmed by this thought for a few reasons. 

Firstly, I am going to be having a C-section because they are mono-mono twins, so I am going to be stuck in the hospital for at 3-4 days (although I am hoping to push for the shortest time possible).  It terrifies me that I won't be able to see them until I am discharged from the hospital.  

Secondly, I work at the hospital we are going to send the boys to - I am a very private person and do not like people knowing my business.

I know this is the best thing for the babies, but I am having a hard time with this.  Did anybody have to deal with either of these issues?  How did you handle it?  What is really hard?  Also, what did you do about people visiting the babies? It seems selfish, but I don't want anybody seeing them without me, but that means that nobody, not even grandparents, will see the babies for a few days - is that really selfish???  What did you do about visiting?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Anybody have babies transferrred immediately after birth?

• Options
    It was a possibility for me, but fortunately didn't end up happening. I'm sorry. :( Is there any way you could deliver at the hospital they would send Baby B to? If at all possible I would want to be in the same place as both babies.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Are you able to deliver at the hospital they'd be transferred to?  I couldn't imagine not seeing them for days.  I know you said you don't want people in your business, but I think when it comes to being with your babies, you'll wish you'd let go of that.  I don't think it's selfish at all to ask others not to see the babies until you can (maybe your DH could see them and take pics, but no visitors).  GL.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The hospital is just a Childrens hospital, so I can't deliver there.  I am stuck in a different hospital while baby B is at the Childrens hospital.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    No, I delivered at a hospital with a level 3 NICU so no transfer was necessary.  That totally sucks.  Is there no other hospital that can you deliver at that can meet his needs?  If not, I am really sorry.  Being at a different hospital than your babies will be tough, but if you have to do it so he gets the care he needs then I guess you have to and just visit as soon as you can and as often as you can.  Sending T&P for your babies!
  • Options
    Oh, got it. That does suck. :(
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I'm sorry that sounds awful.  I can't imagine knowing already you'll be separated.  I think for those that have babies transferred it's usually such an emergency that they delivered at a hospital that didn't have a NICU so it totally made sense they'd have to be separated.  I think it must be so much harder knowing ahead of time that this has to happen.  I hope that your babies do very well and your NICU time is a short a possible. )c:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"