Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Reflux or something else? Throwing up frequently

Maybe someone can help here...

DD throws up when she coughs or cries.  She will be crying for 1 minute and start throwing up.  Same with coughing.  She doesnt seem sick at all, no temperature, very happy.  Its a lot of throw up too, its like a fountain that comes out.  SHe does it sometimes when im feeding her solids too (which she absolutely doesnt like.  We're lucky if she will have 2 oz of food a day).  It started happening a couple months ago but is starting to be more frequent now, it just happnened a few minutes ago and also yesterday. Feeding her is a hassle.  She will eat 2 or 3 ounces and then push it away and start crying when we try to feed her more of it.  Do you think this could be reflux?

I mentioned it to the dr. at her 6 month visit but she said it was probably just a gag reflex.  So i just called again today cuz its happening more frequent and they said the dr. isn't in today and will call me back tomorrow.

Just curious with babies with reflux, what symptoms do they have?  

Audrey- December 2009
Owen- April 2011
Olivia- Due December 24th

Re: Reflux or something else? Throwing up frequently

• Options
    Sorry I dont have any info on this subject but just wanted to say I am sorry your DD is going through this. Crying
  • Options
    Aw thank you Niki.  I guess noone here has any info on reflux.  I'll just have to wait for the dr. to call tomorrow =)
    Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Awww. Am sorry about your DD. 

This is what I know of reflux from my DD's pedi: babies who have them don't want to eat as much. They push away when you're trying to feed them, arching their back. She told me this when I told her DD doesn't want to drink more than 2-2.5oz at a time, is burpy (upto .5 hr after feeding) and had spit-ups. (she has always been a gassy baby). She thinks DD has a more silent form of reflux and prescribed Zantac (evil smelling, evil tasting medicine). We went through about half a bottle before realizing it didn't change anything and got better when she started rolling onto her tummy. Her pedi said to keep her upright for abt 40 mins after feeding, mylicon/gripe water when needed. Now, sadly, the issues are back in a milder form with introduction of solid foods.Pedi wasn't too concerned since DD looks fine, and height/weight are ok.

Did it start after you started solid foods? Pedi says that change in food does that to some babies. Hope this helps...I know how hard it can be. GL :)

• Options

Thank you very much Nikis mama!

Actually, yes it does seem it started after introducing solids.  We introduced them around 5 months.  She wants nothing at all to do with solids and like you said, will only take a couple ounces of formula at a time.  If i try to force her to take more she vomits it all up.

Hopefully the pedi has advice to offer as well.

Thanks again and i hope your LO feels better soon too =))

Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
  • Options
    RaeAntRaeAnt member

DS will make himself sick is he gets upset and has recently had food or has food right after.

Also, try not to continue feeding her once she pushes the food away. She is probably telling you she's done (infants have the auto stop on food) and by continuing to feed her you are starting to train her to override that stop reflex. She's spitting it back up because she's full/doesn't want anymore.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As the PP said, don't give her more than what she asks/feeds. I tried to feed DD more initially, to see if she would drink more than 2-2.5oz but never succeeded. Now I just feed her how much she eats, and she's fine, silent reflux or not. Just have to accept she isn't like the other 3-4 times a day feeding babies :) She's ok with solids now, eats like a champ. Spit-ups are better, hopefully the burps/gas issues will get better too. Hope your little one feels better soon. If her height/weight are ok, I wouldn't worry too much though I KNOW it's easier said than done :) TC!
  • Options
    Wait so you guys just feed your LO 2 oz at a time?  How often do you feed then?  That seems like i would be feeding her all day long.  Im not so sure about that.  The pedi said shes going to give me medicine to try tomorrow.  I hope it works!
    Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
  • Options
    And i definitley know shes not pushing it away because shes full becuase she will grab it again to eat but then start whining, push it away, try to grab it back, repeat.  So i know she stilL WANTS it but doesnt take it.  Grrr.
    Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
  • Options

Oops- I didn't check for a while and missed this one. Sorry!

Yup, I feed her as much as she will drink else she feels uncomfortable and sometimes has spit-up from the extra amount that she drank. She will drink 3-4oz at a time sometimes, but that's not the norm.

Hope the medicine for your LO is working, does the pedi think it's reflux? And saw your post today on 2U2- congratulations! Hope all goes well with you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"