Pregnant after 35
Options

Anxiety and medication

I'm new to the site.  I found out last week that I'm now 5 weeks pregnant. I'm excited that my husband and I could conceive quickly.  However, my anxiety is worse than it's ever been.  My doctor lowered the Effexor dosage to 37.5daily.  I understand I need to be tapered off for the baby, but I'm so overwhelmed.   I've had the worst anxiety of my life over the past two weeks.  The good news is I don't go back to work until September.  Is there anyone who has experience with anxiety and pregnancy?

Re: Anxiety and medication

• Options
    I'm sorry--I don't have experience, but is there a different medication that would be safe for you to take during pregnancy?  I would talk to your doctor or OB about it. 
  • Options
    I DO I TAKE MEDICATION AND THIS IS MY THIRD PREGNANCY WITH MY SECOND CHILD MY OB DOCTOR ASK ME IF I WANTED  TO TAKING MY MEDS SHE SAID THAT IS BEST TO STOP TAKING IT BUT I ASK HER WHAT HAPPENS IF I  ONLY TAKE IT WHEN I NEEDED IT  SHE SAID THEIR MAY BE  SOME RISKS  BABY MIGHT COME OUT WITH A HEART MURMUR MINES DID THAT MEANS IS A LITTLE HOLE IN THE HEART MY PEDIATRICIAN TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY THAT IT WILL CLOSE AS SHE GETS OLDER AND IT DID ... MY ADVICE TO YOU IS ONLY TAKE IT WHEN YOU HAVE TO BUT TRY TO DO WITHOUT IT DO YOUR BEST USE MEDICATION TO RRELIEVE SOME OF THAT ANXIETY I GET THAT TOO BUT NOT AS MUCH ONLY GET LIKE THAT AROUND ALOT OF PEOPLE BUT IM DOING BETTER WITH BREATHING EXERCISES OR TAKING LONG WALKS OR EVEN USING THE TREADMILL ALITTE BIT NOT TOO MUCH YOU RELIEVE SOME STRESS LIKE THAT OK WELL GOOD LUCK REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT ALONE ASK YOUR OB OK TAKE CARE
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I HEAR you! 

I was on Effexor for years and recently tapered off. Very difficult to tapper off of. It can make one feel very uncomfortable.

I ended up on another medication which once I got pregnant I had to stop right away. Fortunately it was not as difficult as the Effexor.

People will tell you to take yoga, learn relaxation breathing and walk. All very good suggestions but for someone who suffers anxiety it is a bit like a bandaid on a severed arm.

I can tell you what has helped me...repeating this...

"Pregnancy is only for awhile. The discomforts and anxiety will NOT last forever. Everyone wonders if they are good enough, strong enough and can handle it...EVERYONE!"

When I am really flipping out I grab my Boppy pregnancy pillow (it is a huge c shaped pillow that helps ease some of the discomfort of pregnancy), light a candle, get a cool drink of mineral water and just try and be still. Sometimes music helps. Sometimes rubbing some belly balm on my tummy eases the anxiety. I have also found the bathtub is my new best friend. Not too hot on the water though.

It's funny having anxiety is so difficult and so misunderstood in pregnancy. If the stress of coming off the meds is too much see if there is another medication you can be on as well. Remember if you are flipping out and stressed the baby is as well. Better to take care of you both. It is YOUR choice what you chose to do about your meds and don't for a minute let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Sending peace and support.

• Options
    My MW lets me take Lexapro for anxiety during pregnancy and postpartum.
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just started Lexapro five weeks ago because my anxiety had become debilitating.  Anxiety free, I concieved immediately.  Well, immediately after five years of actively trying, major surgery, two adoptions, five years on the pill to prevent regrowth of endometriosis, and then six months of "well let me stop the pill and see what happens."  So at 43, I'm quite concerned that I do what's best, but at the same time, I am also very concerned that this is no time for me to be debilitated due to anxiety.  I don't think the dr understands how bad it was for me.  I hope there is an alternative to the Lexapro, but its good to know that a MW approves it.  Of course, with my age, who knows how things are processed differently.
  • Options
    I currently take Zoloft.  I tried to do no meds during my first pregnancy but the anxiety was too overwhelming.  My doctor felt being on meds was better than being stressed all the time which can create high blood pressure.  She prescribed Zoloft which I took throughout most of that pregnancy and I am currently taking with this pregnancy.  She of course wants me to take the lowest dose that I feel comfortable with, which right now is 100 mg.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"