Baby Showers

need advice for registry

First time posting!

This is my first baby and i have started my registry but we find out what we are having on Fri and I want to finish everything up.it looks like there is a lot of stuff that I probably would never use. I would like to know...

What are the things that you and baby couldnt go without?

what are some things that you have that you never use?

Any other suggestions that you have!

Thanks

Jenn

Re: need advice for registry

• I recommend the book Baby Bargains (you can probably even borrow it at the library). It has a lot of advice on not only how to save money, but where to splurge and what items aren't necessary.
  • Baby Bargains is a great book.

I am a first time mom, but here is what I have heard.

Things you don't need:

wipe warmer

bottle warmer

sterilizer (the microwave bags work wonderfully)

Things that you can't live without:

Boppy

Fisher Price Rock n' Play 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby Bargains is AMAZING.  Buy it on Amazon, because I think it's the cheapest there.  You will read it again and again!

I agree w/ the PP - you don't need a wipe warmer, bottle warmer, bottle sterilizer.  I would also say that you don't need a diaper genie or anything of that sort.  We are going to use a stainless steel trash can (small one) and empty it daily.  

There are so many things that people will disagree on...whether you need it or not is going to be your decision.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes Baby Bargains all the WAY!

Also, try posting this question on the Nurseries and Gear Board...Unfortunately, I do not have an outside baby yet, so I cannot share what is useful and what is not.

I do have to say, the one thing I learned is that the baby needs a safe place to sleep, lots of love, and food...the rest is extra. I got so carried away in the "I NEED this...and we HAVE to have this" propaganda that is baby-world...I really had to back my self up and ask what was important.  Safety vs. Price vs. Quality vs. Name Brand Status Stuff. That is where Baby Bargains saved the day for me.

Don't get me wrong...I spend $100s on a diaper bag and fancy stroller...but I also saved on my crib and bedding. It was just a matter of figuring out what was important.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • don't register for bankets and clothes because you'll get plenty of these and you can can see what sizes you're missing and shop for those after the shower.  I registered for everything on the BRU recommended list and there are certain things I haven't used in a long time that came in handy the first month: bottle warmer, sterilizer, cloth wipe warmer.  you can pass on these.

I actually appreciate the diaper genie.  i don't smell anything in my nursery and I'm grateful.

what we couldn't live without: the fp swing with the ac plug in (we have ocean wonders but there are several.  my car seat (you need that from day one) my stroller (helped me get out of the house and beat cabin fever while DS was newborn). the two large boxes of diapers each in sizes 1 & 2 that have helped us avoid the whole pampers dry max scare until now (we stocked up on the old swaddlers because they were discontinuing them when I had my shower).

my final piece of advice is you have to decide if all of the various activity items are necessary for you because it can be a bit much:  swing, bouncy chair, activity gym, play yard, jumperoo, etc .

also, you have to decide if you want to do some kind of bassinet or go staight to a crib.   from my experience, straight to a crib is easier if you can handle it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • this is my first baby and i've been told that my registry is not good enough because i didn't put clothes on it. i don't WANT clothes! i put things on there--ranging from cheap to expensive ($3 - $180). what is the deal with everyone wanting to buy clothes?
  • imagekita09:
    this is my first baby and i've been told that my registry is not good enough because i didn't put clothes on it. i don't WANT clothes! i put things on there--ranging from cheap to expensive ($3 - $180). what is the deal with everyone wanting to buy clothes?

If you don't put clothes that you like, I guarantee you're getting the tackiest items of clothing in the store. 

Note on clothes registering: wait awhile to be sure the store will still have those styles available. (ie. register for them when the shower invites go out) 

• thanks I have never heard of baby bargains I will have to look for that! We found out today were having a girl so I am going to get on the ball this weekend and get the registry done!! I cant wait!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"