Stay at Home Moms
Options

Do you think your child/children can be in too many activities?

I've been researching fun things to do with my son when he turns one next year...zoo membership, Music Together, gymnastics (I think he has to be 18 mo actually), swimming, lib. (we actually do baby classes now though), etc- Do you think doing an activity everyday (or every other day) would be too much for him to handle next year? Should I just stick with 2 main activities at a time?

Re: Do you think your child/children can be in too many activities?

• Options
    DD is 27 months and has an activity 3 days of the week.  We do need those two days off (plus the weekends) to just recharge.  There's plenty to do around the house, and three playgrounds in walking distance, so we keep busy on those days.  They just don't feel as "scheduled."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yup, they can be in too many activities imo. I think 2 is good. Right now DD does gymboree music class and we go to a playgroup. When she is older we will focus on 1 music and 1 sport. However we do go out everyday (zoo, park, pool, shop etc)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think 2 structured activities a week are good for that age.

Yes, children can be "overscheduled". I see it all the time. My friends put their kids in all sorts of classes. No real downtime.......

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I agree with others, children can definitely be too scheduled.  We tend to do 1-2 "classes" per week, go to playgroup 1-2 x's per week, and have at least one day where we just hang around the house, go to the park, etc.  We also tend to stick around the house/neighborhood every afternoon (after nap), so our activities are generally in the morning.  Toddlers need time to explore, create, and just play, without structure.  :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Options

Children absolutely can be in too many activities.

One of my favorite things about being a SAHM is that I can decide on a moment's notice to go OOT for a while. If DD were in a bunch of activities, I wouldn't be able to do that.

• Options

I suppose it is up to "what works best for you and your family," but I know if I had to get out every day with a one year old - to a ringling circus type child-friendly activity - I would probably have to be committed to some sort of home.  

I love being at home with DD - for hours and hours and hours at a time.  I love thinking of activities that we can do here with the things we have here.  I love the fact that we can be at home - just the two of us - engaged, stimulated, relaxed, and enjoying our down time, and the simplicity of life.  

Sure we enjoy the library or pet store or playground on occasion, but I couldn't do it everyday.  AND I don't want DD growing up thinking that the day is not complete unless she attends an event.

I am a big believer in embracing so-called "boredom" and turning that time into something productive and worthwhile.  I love the fact that my 1 year old DD can almost always figure out something enjoyable to do when there is down time.  

I could go on and on about societal pressures, the detrimental effects of the idea that we must push push push and go go go, and the lack of independent (as in alone - without peers) play, and more.  But I won't.

Long answer short - 1) YES, I think one year olds can be in too many activities (and I think only a few can equal "too many") and 2) you gotta do what feels right for you and your family.  GL 

• Options
    Thanks! I am thinking only doing two main activities at a time.
  • Options
    imagesusanmosley:

I suppose it is up to "what works best for you and your family," but I know if I had to get out every day with a one year old - to a ringling circus type child-friendly activity - I would probably have to be committed to some sort of home.  

I love being at home with DD - for hours and hours and hours at a time.  I love thinking of activities that we can do here with the things we have here.  I love the fact that we can be at home - just the two of us - engaged, stimulated, relaxed, and enjoying our down time, and the simplicity of life.  

Sure we enjoy the library or pet store or playground on occasion, but I couldn't do it everyday.  AND I don't want DD growing up thinking that the day is not complete unless she attends an event.

I am a big believer in embracing so-called "boredom" and turning that time into something productive and worthwhile.  I love the fact that my 1 year old DD can almost always figure out something enjoyable to do when there is down time.  

I could go on and on about societal pressures, the detrimental effects of the idea that we must push push push and go go go, and the lack of independent (as in alone - without peers) play, and more.  But I won't.

Long answer short - 1) YES, I think one year olds can be in too many activities (and I think only a few can equal "too many") and 2) you gotta do what feels right for you and your family.  GL 

This.  I am not a big fan of over scheduling.  Or scheduling at all.  Ha.  Our son is just over 2 and has only done a couple organized classes.  We get out several times a week and I do not worry too much about "socializing" him, I think a lot of it is society saying you have to do some of these things.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We just signed up for a mom and tot class at the park that is 4 weeks long and it's 3x's a week for an hour and a half a day. It's nice, and this is our 2nd week, but it's very exhausting for both DD and I. lol. We also do library story time an hour a week and she's got an hour of speech therapy a week. Thankfully story time and speech are on Tues. when there is no class. Friday's seem to be our free day right now, and we kind of just hang out.

As fun as the classes are and such, I'm glad they are only for a few weeks, and than there is a big gap between the fall stuff starting. In the fall she will be going to Tiny Tots class at our church school an hour a week, continue her therapy, and I plan on signing her up for tiny tumblers witch will be twice a week. 

Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • Options

With ds, we try to find something to do every day because if we don't he goes crazy (and mommy does too).  He isn't scheduled for anything specific though so if we don't want to do something, we don't have to.  In the fall I am going to get him in the next level of swim lessons though and those will be 2 times a week for a month.

Lots of days are just he and I going to the pool or park or something just the two of us though.  We don't know too many people.

• Options
    I think what ever keeps mommy sane.  I would stick with what you like.  Also, I would check out optional activities like story time, it you think your schedule will be tight at various times.  We have two activities a day, one morning and one afternoon, but I have an older dd who is very socially inclined.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"