Preemies

question for mom's of babies born at 35 weeks

I will be 35 weeks on Thursday and was having contractions yesterday. We went to L & D and the doctor gave me 1 shot every 20 minutes for an hour to stop the contractions and it worked. I am now contracting 2-3 times an hour, but he said as long as it wasn't 6+ an hour it's okay. If I do start contracting 6+ an hour again he said they would let me have the baby. This is my first baby and it's so scary to me to have him 5 weeks early. I am the most nervous about health problems, etc. Any advice to calm my nerves would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies! 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: question for mom's of babies born at 35 weeks

• Well, just relax and breathe! Remember that even if you do start having 6+ contractions in an hour it doesn't mean it's going to start changing your cervix Are you already starting to dilate and/or efface? BH are just your bodies way of getting ready for labor, and I know some women can have major contractions for weeks before they give birth... unless your Dr. is going to "ramp up" your labor and give you pitocin there is no guarantee that you'd deliver even if you were having contractions.

My son was born at 35 weeks 5 days, and he was in the NICU for 14 days. He was fine except for slight jaundice and apnea, which is very common with premature infants. His apnea, while it was annoying, was not severe and he was able to self-recover without any medical assistance.

Most NICU's require newborns to go 7 days after an incident before discharge, along with other requirements. However, I have also heard of infants born at 35 weeks who required little or no stay in the NICU.

I would speak to your Dr. about your concerns and then call and speak to your hospital. If your hospital has a NICU, it may be a good idea to call and speak with them to get an idea what you can expect. If your hospital doesn't have a NICU, it would be a good idea to find out from the hospital you deliver at where they would send newborns who need extra care. 

Good luck!! When my son was born, I would tell everyone he just couldn't wait to meet me... =) Maybe your LO is just as excited to meet you. =D

- - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • I just had DS at 35 weeks and 6 days.  He had 5 days in the Special Care Nursery for jaundice and for learning to eat.  Every baby is different, and some ladies on here went right home with their 35 weekers.  This is a very good gestation for good outcomes.  Get informed about your local NICU and the Special Care Nursery where your LO might go.  Try to relax as best you can, and enjoy your LO's arrival.  :)  Good luck.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • AidgeAidge member
    Ben was born at 35 and 4 and spent 11 days in the NICU, first for breathing issues (nasal cannula for two days) and then for feeding and getting energy to eat.  As others said, some babies go home just as full termers do, while others need a bit extra help.  35 weeks is a terrific gestation as far as prognoses go, but with that being said, I also have a different perspective b/c DS#1 was a 30 weeker and had a much longer stay.  GL to you, though!
  • I can't speak for 35 weeks, but I had my little guys 8 weeks early, and after a completely uneventful month in the NICU (they just had to grow and learn to take a bottle) they are home and they are perfect. 

35 weekers stand an excellent chance of everything being great!! Good luck!

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 - 12/9/09 After being on bedrest for 10 weeks due to TTTS and hospital bedrest for 4 weeks due to PPROM, my sticky babies are here! Born at 32 weeks!!
  • DS came home day after me. He did have some issues with jaundice and feeding (he had a weak suck), but they were resolved by the time he came home. I actually don't even really consider him a preemie because he is caught up on size, hieght and milestones. It is pretty funny actually because he is almost the size of my 14 month old! People often think they are twins.
  • I had my DD at 34w6d, so basically 35 weeks.  She had no NICU time, no health problems, and weighed in at a huge 6 lbs, 7 oz.  The only issues she had were jaundice (which happens to 85% of ALL births, I think one of the nurses told me), and at her 2 weeks appointment was not back up to her birth weight (she dropped to 5 lbs, 14 oz).  The jaundice went away on its own and she was put on special formula to gain weight.  She's had no lasting effects of being early (that we know of), and she's hit all her milestones early or on time.  She's doing great!  I don't think the high birth weight or the no NICU time is typical of a 35 weeker, but wanted to share a positive story.  It's scary to go into PTL no matter what the circumstances are.  This is a great board.  GL!!!
    imageimageimage
  • efs83efs83 member
    I hope everything turned out okay for you!! My baby was born at 35w3days almost 3 weeks ago, and he is doing great! He weighed 5lbs 13oz at birth, and although he didn't gain his birthweight back by his 2 week appointment, by day 19 we was 6lbs 3oz! He only had to stay in the hospital one extra day due to slight jaundice, and didn't have any breathing/feeding issues that are common for 35 weekers. I'm sure your LO will be just fine! Let us know how it all turned out!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD was born at 35 weeks exactly, no NICU time, no problems :) It can go so many ways, it's hard to tell.  I work on a mother baby unit, and I see as many full termers go to NICU for one thing or another as I do late preterm babies (35-37 weeks).
  • My DD was born at 35w4d and she needed no NICU time.  I delivered her on a Friday and was released on Monday. 

We stayed one extra day beyond a typical vaginal delivery because of jaundice.  She was small - 5 pounds 1 ounce at birth, 4 pounds 11 ounces at her lowest weight - but healthy and has been a great baby.  She is one of the healthiest little ones I know.  Even with my working full time (in a school where I am always being exposed), going to daycare, she has (knock wood) literally NEVER been sick.  She is amazing.

I attribute her needing no NICU to the steroid shots I recieved at 30 weeks.  I think you might be too far along for that but I really think they helped.

• My DD was born at 35 weeks at 6 lbs 12 oz.  She was released with me but had to spend a few days on the billi blanket due to jaundice.  It was so nice to have her come home as DS was born at 32 weeks and spent some time in the NICU.
  • Thank you all so much for your help and information. They ended up being able to stop the contractions and after a few days in the hospital for a kidney infection I was released. I am 36 weeks today and the OB said I should be totally fine and make it to term as long as the contractions don't start up again. Thank you so much for your help ladies! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"